How to Make Cosmetic “Wraps” or Crayon Rolls

December 5th, 2011

Need a quick and easy idea to “wrap” up your gift-giving list? Join us as we show you how to make a cosmetic “wrap” or crayon roll! Using this simple technique, you can make all kinds of “wraps and rolls!” :)

Here are some additional photos!

What kinds of projects will you be making with this technique? Let us know here or on our Facebook page!

Have a wonderful week!

December 5, 2011 at 7:17 am

PERFECT!! Super Easy Peasy!! Actually Ladies you reminded me that I have been wanting to make a Holder for my Tube Turners…my plastic one is toast!! Soooo….Thanks for the reminder nudge and I will just need to make it taller to handle my Tube Turners!! And Great Gift ideas!! My Creativity is Served Once again!! As Always!

• December 5, 2011 at 7:54 am

Thank you!! Great project!

• Patsy Smith
    December 5, 2011 at 8:08 am

Hi, Love the holder! I think I will make a holder for my daughter’s crochet hooks. She will love it – then she will want a brush holder as well. Thank you so much! I always look forward to seeing what you will create!

• gale
    December 5, 2011 at 8:10 am

just one question-what about sewing the opening shut after turning it right side out? Do you hand or machine stitch that? I didn’t notice it mentioned in the video.

• December 5, 2011 at 8:27 am

Great project for gift giving.

• December 5, 2011 at 10:37 am

hi ..i absolutely love watching you both …have not tried any of your projects yet but hope do do some for Christmas gifts.especially this one ..:)

• Marietta
    December 5, 2011 at 11:22 am

Nothing better than a new project for our fabric stash pile. Easy and fun.

• Vianca
    December 5, 2011 at 11:52 am

This is absolutely an awesome project to do.

• December 5, 2011 at 11:57 am

Love, Love, Love it! It isn’t often that I’m inspired enough by something I see on the internet to go & make it, but I have made almost EVERY project you girls have made every season! This would be a great gift for my girlfriends, so I will be making them soon. Thanks for the inspiration!

• December 5, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Oh… I saw Gale’s question above and it reminded me…. why not leave the opening where you are going to put the ribbon? That way you can just add a stitched edge all the way around, sewing the ribbon in the opening as you go. I think I will try that…. I may not add the ricrac though, so this will give a different type of finished edge. I also have a friend who likes flannel and country style decor, so I might add a blanket stitch around the edges.

• December 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Hi Girls
    Always looking forward to watching your show – even here in Denmark
    You make some pretty cool stuff, and i love when it is simple thing – just to whip up in a hurry.
    THANK YOU lovely ladies…..♥♥♥
    Hugs from Lone
    In Denmark ;o)

• Jill Harris
    December 5, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Do you offer a printable PDF for this? Sometimes I write down a materials list and then by the time I get back to it I have forgotten what ya’ll said and the directions. It is adorable!

• Kathy Kauth
    December 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Really good idea and it would be good for crochet hooks, and maybe a little bit wider cut for knitting needles too. Another great one girls!

• Evelyn
    December 5, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Love the ideas!!!

• Paula
    December 5, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Luv Luv Ga great soticking stuffer

• December 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Love it . I have made these in the past , but your simple directions make me want to make another :)
    I’m thinking I will make one for each of my daughters for their crochet hooks :-)

thanks SO much,
    lisalynn

gracielynnsbotheredsheep.blogspot.com

• Deb
    December 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm

My Grandaughteras will love this for their makeup brushes and its QUICK Thanks Ladies

• Elizabeth
    December 5, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Love this, I can’t wait to start working on mine…thank you ladies you are awesome.. :D

• December 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I love these. I am going to make crayon holders for my grand kids. Thanks for the idea and instructions!

• Amy Bohner
    December 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm

These make great paintbrush holders for your painting friends as well. Just measure a paintbrush to make sure you make it tall enough. Great show!!!

• Kay
    December 5, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Is there a Pdf
    for these projects?

• Ginny
    December 5, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Great idea and very easy! I need to make one for my knitting needles!

• kate
    December 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Hi, I love watching these projects come together! I have ADHD and it is nearly impossible for me to read and comprehend directions and I absolutely CANNOT read a pattern. Literally, the only way I am able to sew and learn new projects is by either seeing a finished project, disecting it and hoping for the best, or with your VERY helpful and step by step instructions! Sewing has enabled me to maintain a sense of self and much needed outlet for creativity. The two of you have inspired me to keep sewing and given me so many new fun ideas and your fun, positive attitudes have made for an ease of watching and a center for my attention.

• Nancy
    December 5, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I love these. I just might make a couple of these.

• Sandra
    December 5, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Can’t wait to make one for my crochet hooks!

• thelma
    December 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm

great project! my daughter is going to make some for the children she babysits. she’s going to put in a velcro closure since they cannot tie a bow yet. thanks for the inspiration girls!

• Linda Rydberg
    December 5, 2011 at 11:33 pm

What do you suggest as the measurements for the crayon holder?

• Debby
    December 6, 2011 at 12:23 am

I can see this used for many things. One being for a wedding or shower gift filled with forks, spoons, knives, ect…. I think I may make one for my markers for crafting.
    Thanks for the idea.

• Norma
    December 6, 2011 at 2:37 am

How much would you sell something like this at a craft show? I love it! Also, do you offer a printable instruction on this?

• December 6, 2011 at 3:00 am

So stinking cute! Love it, you guys! Thanks!

• Nichole Worthy
    December 6, 2011 at 4:08 am

this would be a great idea for my silver! -your fan down under in sunny Queensland, Australia

• December 6, 2011 at 8:52 am

[...] How to Make Cosmetic “Wraps” or Crayon Rolls – 1 freebie(s)? [...]

• December 6, 2011 at 8:53 am

[...] How to Make Cosmetic “Wraps” or Crayon Rolls – 1 freebie(s)? [...]

• Michelle Norris
    December 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Another cute project!!! Love all your ideas!

• thelma
    December 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm

another option for the closure……an elastic loop that will fit around your roll. we decided to use that instead of a ribbon tie or even velcro for little ones who cannot tie a bow yet.

• December 16, 2011 at 11:23 pm

another great idea for quick gifts. In designing these one could make them just any size needed for quilting and sewing tools as well as crochet needles and taller ones for knitting needles. Humm may need to make some for mother’s day gifts. thanks again for these great ideas.

• Nancy
    January 13, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I love this idea. I have makeup scattered in several places and I am going to make one for myself to keep track of things. Then I can make them for my sisters and daughters.

• Arline
    January 20, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Super easy and I made utensils carriers with this!!!

• Nahla
    January 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm

thank you for nice tutorial , am a beginner i will start by doing some of ur projects , wish me luck …Big kiss from EGYPT

• Peggy
    January 29, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Could you please tell me if you have instructions for the “Wraps” Cosmetic or Crayon? Is there a way to download them and print. I would love to have them. I am forgetful and have to read and re-read. Thank you.

• August 24, 2012 at 8:32 pm

[...] we know for Christmas.  I got on pinterest and found a video that explained how to make them at http://www.thediydish.com/2011/12/how-to-make-cosmetic-wraps-or-crayon-rolls/.  Then I didn’t follow the directions:)  I did use it as a guide but I have sheets of felt [...]

• Pizzano
    February 9, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Hi Gail.
    You want to sew it once you have turn it inside out.
    These are fun to make. and in no time you have a wonderful gift or a gift for yourself. I have made a few. Going to make more for my friends grandchildren to put there color’s in.
    Have a nice day. Hope this helped.

• March 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm

[...] a video is more your style, check out the DIY dish for their tutorial on crayon roll-ups.  Clear instructions on the video and super cute.          from DIY [...]

• My2lovies
    April 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Gale,
    I believe after she turned it inside out she did a decorative stitch around entire piece, and this sealed the opening…no hand stitching needed. I might be wrong, but that is what I plan to do.

• Katelyn
    June 23, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I made my own make up roll and it turned out great. I wish you guys would do another season.

• Nancy
    September 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I just made one for my knitting needles and added an additional row of pockets of contrasting material for other smaller items (crochet hook, measuring tape, pencil). It is super cute. I also wish you guys would do another season.

• October 17, 2013 at 10:13 pm

May I just say what a relief to uncover somebody that genuinely
    understands what they are discussing on the web. You actually know how
    to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    More people should look at this and understand this side of
    your story. I can’t believe you aren’t more popular since you most certainly possess the gift.