How to Make a Fabric-Covered Canvas – “Stitch and Flip” Method

November 7th, 2011

Hello! Welcome to Episode 6 of The DIY Dish! If the thought of making a quilt is a bit overwhelming, what about taking those same favorite fabrics of yours and turning them into a unique fabric-covered canvas? This isn’t your normal fabric canvas…we are showing a fun and easy “stitch and flip” method that can be used on not only this, but also to make baby blankets and quilts!

Here are a few more photos!

If you were to make these, what fabric colors or lines would you choose to do this in? There are so many possibilities! Post a comment here or join the conversation on our Facebook page!

Have a wonderful week!

• LizzyKay
    November 7, 2011 at 8:02 am

Lovely as always. The three canvases that you showed would make a nice grouping.

• November 7, 2011 at 10:39 am

Love this idea. I noticed the baby blanket looks like it has free-motion quilting. Did you do the fmq as you added each strip of fabric or when the whole blanket was complete? I have a difficult time fmq anything larger than a wallhanging, the fabric always seems to shift a bit. It seems like your technique of “flip and stitch” would keep your fabrics from shifting even if you fmq once the whole quilt was together. Thanks for all the great tips and ideas.

• pat
    November 7, 2011 at 11:49 am

Hi.
    Love the ‘stitch ‘n flip’ project on canvas.
    However, could not find it on YCMT.
    Solution please?
    Thank you.

• Ricki Duke
    November 7, 2011 at 11:56 am

I like this idea. Very cute and a great idea to use up the scrapes we all have. Great show girls.

• November 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm

What a wonderful project!!

• November 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Love the idea. On my way to find a canvas….Thanks

Lynn

• sharon
    November 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm

you could use a thermal batting and make hot pads or trivets . . .

one could also use up some “jelly roll” strips or coordinating fat quarters (not that I have any of those sitting around or anything :)

thanks again for great inspiration and sharing your creativity!

• Marietta
    November 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I like this

• Gaye Tolliver
    November 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Love the project..great way to use up all those scraps we have!

Kris, do you have directions for the trim on your beige top? I like the ‘flippy’ look of it!

Thanks for a great series of programs.

• Virginia
    November 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I absolutely love this idea. You could make a favorite quilt block and just hang it as picture or why not take a favorite photo print it out on fabric sheets and use that as your center and stitch and flip. Awesome ideas Kris and Kim.

• Wanda L
    November 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I love the stitch and flip method..great ideas as always!

• November 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm

loved the show today! that stitch and flip is so easy and I always forget about it! thanks for the reminder :)

• Carole
    November 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Love seeing you on My Craft Channel, I look forward to all of the episodes every day. This quilt method is such an easy and fun idea.

• Kathryn
    November 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Love your ideas and taking time to share with us. Love all your shows even if I chose not to make them right now. They are stored for later references. :^) Kathy

• November 7, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Hi Kris & Kim, Just Stitch & Flip! Great quilting idea for small projects with scrap fabrics, this just might work with making some colorful decor pillow cases too. Thanks ladies for little ideas…

• Linda
    November 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I did similar quilt project for a friend retiring, but i used white strips in center for every one in company to sign a goodbye message to here, and she loved it.

• November 8, 2011 at 6:48 am

[...] How to Make a Fabric-Covered Canvas – “Stitch and Flip” Method – 1 freebie(s)? [...]

• Kathy Kauth
    November 8, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Fun stuff and once again it could be seasonal and applique a shape on top and maybe use some clear vinyl and add a picture to it or machine embroider a design on it. Yes creativity was served Kim and Kris.

• Ruby S.
    November 9, 2011 at 6:40 am

Hello ladies, I love this idea I’ve been wanting to learn to quilt but, to scared to try. But stitch & flip seams like something I could totally do! Thank you so much for this cute and EASY idea! I’m going to start right away:}

• Ginger
    November 10, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Kim and Kris you are so inspiring!! i can’t keep up with all the projects you show me that i want to make!! I might need to get a job to keep up with you girls :) Maybe at your shop, lol!! Thanks for sharing, these are amazing!!

• November 13, 2011 at 7:54 pm

This method is totally new to me! I plan to take this idea and use it to make new trivets for the table, a highchair cover, and a baby bib. I have scraps of fabric just itching to be made into something useful. Everthing would need to be bound with bias tape to finish it off.

• July 4, 2013 at 11:42 am

These fabrics are really looking very nice, i enjoyed this great post, i was really a great project keep it up..