How to Make Fabric Flowers and Use Them in Your Home Decor

October 10th, 2011

Welcome to Episode 2! Since we are twins, we thought it would be fun to take on a segment we’d like to call, “The Double-Take Challenge!” The idea is that each of us would come up with our own project that involved 2 things. What are those 2 things this week? Fabric flowers and home decor. Take a look at what each one of us made…and you can make them, too! And of course, we’d like to know what “your take” is on fabric flowers and home decor. Post on our Facebook page or here on on our blog.

Click here to download your free pattern.

Here are some more photos from this week’s project!

A big THANK YOU to JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores for making this episode possible! There is where we found our felt (right off the bolt!) and that gorgeous dupioni silk! Visit them at www.Joann.com.

Did you miss last week’s episode? It’s not too late to view that, too! Click here to learn how to make these chic dress form pin cushions!

Have a wonderful week!
-Kim and Kris

• October 10, 2011 at 10:33 am

SO pretty, love LOVE pillows. I will make this, as I will also make the cute dressform ♥
    Hugs from the Netherlands

• Alina
    October 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I enjoyed looking through you web site.pretty excited to see what’s ahead.congratulations on your success.enjoy your day.

• nicole salcido
    October 10, 2011 at 4:51 pm

These are so cute! I love the purple flower pillow it was so unique and pretty. I am so in love with the lamp shade it turned out so beautiful I can’t wait to make some of these up!

• Ginger
    October 10, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I love the lamp. It would look perfect in my sewing room.

October 10, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Yay!! LOVED BOTH!! Sorry Girls can’t choose….Excited to have that HUGE flower Download to add to my collection…..and LOVED that AMAZING fun easy peasy flower that I think sorta looks like a carnation!! Fun fun fun!!!! Another FANTABULOUS Monday!!

• Debbie Bartak
    October 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Love both of these projects! I love the idea for the lamp shade…. Can’t wait to try them both out!!!

• Carrie Blade
    October 10, 2011 at 6:13 pm

i can’t wait to make these pillows with my daughter on our brand new sewing machine!

• October 10, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Fabulous tutorial. Can’t wait to make up a few in the next little bit!!
    Mary

• Carleen
    October 10, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Just loved both these ideas!

• October 10, 2011 at 6:45 pm

love especially the pin cushion. Can’t wait to make some for Christmas presents. And, yes, I, too, found on some of my projects that pinning the bottom after anchoring the top makes it easier to ease the pieces together on the curves.

The flowers are cute, too. Could add some of those to the pin cushions, but on a smaller scale (by re-sizing).

Love watching you two.

• Vicky
    October 10, 2011 at 7:25 pm

As usual, loved the show. What fun things and I loved the lampshade. I think I may have to do some home decorating now. Cute, cute, cute

• October 10, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I love these flowers – so easy and soooooo cute – both styles!!! Thank you

• Debby
    October 10, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Love the satin flower, that would work great on scarpbook pages to. Think I am going to try this for my heritage pages of my parents.

• October 10, 2011 at 8:57 pm

These projects are both just lovely! Good job girls!

• Amy Bohner
    October 10, 2011 at 9:39 pm

As always, another cute idea. Looking forward to next week!

• Genia
    October 10, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Love you girls! Both projects are so super cute! Can’t wait to make them both. Joann’s here I come!!!!!

• Peggy
    October 11, 2011 at 12:17 am

I think I’d have to call this a tie! And, I just happen to have some silk dupioni in my stash!

• October 11, 2011 at 1:34 am

really loved the lampshade idea–time to give my daughter’s lamp a face lift!

• clarissa
    October 11, 2011 at 2:08 am

love it thank you

• Elaine
    October 11, 2011 at 3:41 am

What a great start to Season 4. You have the best ideas and present them in a way anyone would have the confidence to give it a try. Missed you during the break and look forward to all the wonderful projects yet to come.

• Jaci
    October 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm

These are great and VERY easy. They would dress up anything; a handbag or tote, the ends of a sash, pencil toppers, a smaller version could be used on a greeting card or photo album. Given ten minutes I could probably think of ten more items to decorate. Thanks for the easy to follow instructions and the patterns.

• Marietta
    October 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Love it

• Julie
    October 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Great ideas girls. I’m excited to craft with you this season! I hope to visit your new fabric store in the next couple of weeks! It’s an hour and a half drive for me….but I’m sure sell worth it! My mom grew up in North Logan so she’s coming with me so I don’t get lost:)

• Barb
    October 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I love your videos. They are so “you”. Keep them coming.

These are some fun ideas. I am going to make them with my daughter today. Thanks for the inspiration. I just love you ladies.

• Wanda L
    October 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Nice work..again! I’d say it was a tie. You are both winners with great ideas.

• Ruby S.
    October 11, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Hello ladies! I love both ideas, so pretty and so easy! I’ll be making the pillows in red, perfect for the Holidays! And the lamp too! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!

• mary h
    October 12, 2011 at 2:41 am

Hi,
    I give up, your pin cushions are soooo adorable, but where are the written instructions for them?? Would love to make, but its too hard to follow the video, can u please help??? thank you
    Mary

• October 12, 2011 at 8:41 am

Both of your flower ideas were great! I can see both of those projects in my very near future! Love your blog and keep the great ideas coming please.

• Vianca
    October 12, 2011 at 11:37 am

Love it!! It’s such a simple project, looks beautiful. Thinking of re-doing my daughter’s room.
    Vianca

• Karol B.
    October 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I love the flowers I have some duponi silk since I do crazy quilting. Will try the flowers with it. Thank you

• Kathy Kauth
    October 12, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Loved these ideas girls, I could see making some of the flowers to do a Christmas theme or any other holiday just making the flowers and hiding them in the tree or baskets of pine cones even. Thums up!

• Enis
    October 13, 2011 at 1:46 am

Adorable and creative projects. Love the both, but I think the lamp shade is the winner. Thanks for the wonderful and easy home dec ideas!

• October 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Gorgeous flowers and projects!!

• Ashley
    October 14, 2011 at 4:20 am

I love Kim’s idea with the lamp! But what I did was I did alternating colors of purple and blue and I just did that in a line along the edge of the shade. I love you Kim and Kris!

• October 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Everyone loves flower decor, these are some cute ideas for the home to spice up an old lamp shade and even decorate the sofa, chair or bed with some pretty flowered pillows. Thank you ladies!

• Delanna
    October 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Love both ideas….but will be using the lampshade! I have some adorable lamps that have been needing some fun/unique shades, this will be perfect for them and the room!!! Thanks for all the fabulous ideas!

• October 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm

well this DIY will definitely get my hands to work. =) i think gonna be needing an assitant to do this. it’s so lovely

• pottersquid
    October 24, 2011 at 11:10 am

This is awesome!!!!! I love flowers and am starting to take a interest in cake decorating attempting to make my first one this coming sunday and will be using all the techniques of making flowers that I learnt using fabrics.

• pottersquid
    October 24, 2011 at 11:11 am

I will definatly be using the lamp shade when I need to jazz up a lamp shade when I move out.

• Robyn S. Dawson
    October 28, 2011 at 3:02 am

I would like to know if you would please be kind enough to share what tool’s you used from JoAnn’s Fabric’s..To create your flowers.. such as, the OmniGrid (I think that’s what it said) the ruler you used and what is the rolling thing that cut your silk? I’d love to have one of those!! Thanks so very much!! I hope they came from JoAnn’s..I’m assuming they did…I love DIY dish!!

• November 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm

[...] the diy dish (they even have a [...]

• November 6, 2011 at 2:50 am

Great craft. I will try the flowers and the pin cushion. Have a great season.

• November 22, 2011 at 7:16 pm

[...] Bekijk de video tutorial en de kussens hier: http://www.thediydish.com/2011/10/how-to-make-fabric-flowers-and-use-them-in-your-home-decor/ [...]

• December 19, 2011 at 12:18 am

I love your web innards! I love the pillows and the flower lamp!

• Donna
    December 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm

This is fantastic! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

• Louise
    January 26, 2012 at 3:03 am

Love the flowers and the colors, they are so pretty.

• March 22, 2012 at 8:02 am

[...] Fabric Flower Lamp Shade from The DIY Dish [...]

• Dana
    June 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I am not able to download the patterns. Is there a trick to that. Anyone else having trouble? HELP

• September 9, 2012 at 5:47 am

[...] http://www.thediydish.com/2011/10/how-to-make-fabric-flowers-and-use-them-in-your-home-decor/ J'aime ceci:J'aimeSoyez le premier à aimer ceci.   Laisser un commentaire [...]

• January 19, 2013 at 10:27 pm

[...] things; “fabric flowers” they decided the fabric flowers had to be for their homes.  They have a wonderful video and downloadable pattern for their flowers. You will have to watch the video to see who made what.  Kris used felt and Kim used silk.  They [...]

• Joanne
    February 2, 2013 at 8:44 pm

can you use anything other than sill

• May 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude.
    Thank you However I am experiencing subject with ur rss .

Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there
    anyone getting an identical rss problem? Anybody who knows kindly respond.
    Thnkx

• May 30, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which
    blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers
    and I’m looking at options for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

• July 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm

An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I do believe that you should write more on this topic, it may not be a taboo subject but
    typically people don’t discuss these topics. To the next! Best wishes!!

• July 20, 2013 at 5:33 am

do you have to use felt cant just regular faBRIC LOVED THIS WEBISODPE

• July 20, 2013 at 5:34 am

please anwser back

• July 22, 2013 at 10:29 am

Also visit my site – program rozliczenie pit 2014

• July 24, 2013 at 9:26 pm

If some one wishes to be updated with latest technologies then he must be visit this website and be up to date every day.

Also visit my web site :: rozliczenie pit 2013 online

• July 24, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Feel free to visit my homepage :: e deklaracje

• August 1, 2013 at 8:43 am

Hi, I do believe this is a great web site. I stumbledupon it ;)
    I will revisit yet again since i have saved as a favorite it.
    Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide others.

Also visit my homepage :: rozliczenia przez internet

• August 5, 2013 at 9:45 am

Here is my homepage: rozliczenia podatkowe przez internet

• October 18, 2013 at 6:16 am

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you
    could be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your
    blog and definitely will come back very soon.
    I want to encourage you to continue your great writing, have a nice holiday weekend!|

Look at my blog – pit28 (Dorothy)

• February 25, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they
    just don’t know about. You managed to hit
    the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects
    , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
    Thanks

• April 17, 2014 at 2:10 am

The reason why you think that way and why the utility you
    bought didn’t work is that you don’t quite know much about the differences between data recovery software and undelete utilities.

Multi Talented Windows Data Recovery Software:For the purpose of Windows file recovery aroused
    as result of corruption, deletion, formatting done, Hard Drive Data Recovery software
    is a perfect solution. However a good service delivery system improves proofing and
    quality standard verification to ensure that all of their
    clients receive precise and accurate documents.