How to Make an Apron – My Girlfriend’s Breakfast Club Apron

October 17th, 2011

Welcome to another week of The DIY Dish! This week we are demonstrating how to make “My Girlfriend’s Breakfast Club Apron!”  We’ll also show a very cool way for gathering fabric (no more pulling bobbin threads for this one! You’ll love it!)

This apron created for a special event being held at Kris’ quilt shop. And over the next year, we will have a regular column in the magazine, Where Women Cook, that features not only DIY projects, but breakfast recipes, too! So it was only fitting to start with an apron as our first project! Here are some more photos!

These would make easy gifts to give to friends and family! A basket filled with a muffin or cookie pan, mix, and an apron would be super cute, don’t you think?

If you’re interested in a complete kit to make this apron, you can find them on sale for the next 2 days — Monday and Tuesday, October 17-18, 2011 at www.MyGirlfriendsQuiltShoppe.com! There are a ton of fabric combination kits to choose from!

The kit will not only have the fabrics, but also the “extras” that you’ll need to complete it: the decorative button, snap, bias tape, and even that “waffle cloth!” :)

Have a wonderful week everyone!

P.S. Downloadable instructions can be found here.
Apron kits at a special 2-day price can be found here.

October 17, 2011 at 6:19 am

Creativity was Served…..Loved that little snap idea with the cloth to wipe…!! and Of COURSE I LOVED your fun polka dotted Dress Form!! Can’t wait to see how you dress her in the future!!

• Hannelie
    October 17, 2011 at 8:05 am

Hi

Will you guys send to me in South Africa?
    And how much will the whole bundle be – kit and the postage?

Thanks

Hannelie

• Linn Rivera
    October 17, 2011 at 11:11 am

Great show ladies :) such a cute lil apron. and of course you guys make it easy. this would make a great gift for my 8 sisters :) .

I have already made 8 dress form pin cousins thanks again have a great week.

• Marietta
    October 17, 2011 at 11:43 am

Great idea for a Thanksgiving gift for my Chef daughter. Especially like the loop and button wipe cloth.
    Thanks a bunch from Florida USA

• October 17, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I love this apron! Thank you so much for the episode and free patern! I was thinking, since I love reversible aprons, (I’m a messy cook!) that it could be fun to double the length of the strips (from 20″ to 40″) and fold it up in half! The backside would then be the same as the front! You could sew it on three sides, right sides together, turn, press, then gather and add waistband as before. Just a thought! My Creative Best, QuirkyKim Banta

• Kathy Kauth
    October 17, 2011 at 12:28 pm

How cute I want to make a christmas theme one and maybe one for each holiday too, thank you girls.

• Catherine
    October 17, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I love this project, but there is one thing that I don’t understand — how do you turn the corners when putting on the bias tape? do you make it into a curve, or is there a secret to making corners?

• Carolyn
    October 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I really love this apron. I love love to wear aprons. I feel such a kindred spirit with my grandma, who wore an apron all the time. I can’t wait to make this for my mama and sweet sister for Christmas. Handmade gifts are the best!!
    I have already made 4 dress form pin cushions. One of them I tea dyed and french stamped. It turned out adorable. Thank you for all you do. I look so forward to each Monday, to be inspired by the beautiful crafts that you so willingly share.
    Your friend,
    Carolyn

• October 17, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Hi Catherine – that is a good question. If you are not doing a scalloped hemline, then yes, you’d want to curve the edge just a bit (even using a dinner plate to mark that curve will work nicely.)

We’re excited to see what everyone makes!

Kim :)

• Andra hepler
    October 17, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Your shows are really wonderful and make me smile!!
    thanks, Andra

• Blanca
    October 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Love the apron! So easy to make, and of course the flower! I think I am going to have to make it. lol
    Blanca

• Jodi
    October 17, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Thank you so much for these wonderful videos. You two do a great job and I very much appreciate.

• Aspen
    October 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm

It is such a cool idea. They are so cute I love them.

• nellie
    October 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm

i love this easy to sew apron and the very cute and pretty dress form ,i have enjoyed your new video,s i just want to say thank you Kim and Kris

• October 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

Hi
    What a nice apron! I’m fairly new to sewing, so I’ve got just one question. How do you finish off the edges of the waistband? I suppose you just fold the sides inwards and topstitch over it? Or is there an other way to do this?
    Isn’t it possible to order the kit in Belgium? I got an error message that my address isn’t correct (but I definetely put in the right address)..
    Thank you!

• ellen
    October 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm

HI,

Cute idea! So many possibilities in this ideas!

Would like to suggest adding a pocket or two to this, I know when I have an apron on, I really use pockets.

Blessings,

Ellen

• October 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Hi Tine,
    It’s nice to have friends in Belgium! :) You are correct — fold in each side (about 1/4″) and top-stitch to finish off the band.

As far as ordering internationally, I don’t think they have it set up to automatically do that, but if you email info@mygirlfriendsquiltshoppe.com, they can get in touch with you and see if an order can be set up.

Thanks!
    Kim

• Vicky
    October 19, 2011 at 9:30 pm

cute, cute and more cute. Love it!

• Chris
    October 20, 2011 at 5:29 am

The quilting cottons are of such poor quality that they are printed off grain. If this is visible on line, it will be really noticable in real life. Fixing this will cause the finished product to hang incorrectly and it will be worse after washing.

• Lourna
    October 20, 2011 at 9:07 am

such a nice and easy to follow project…i can make a try…thanks KK..

• October 21, 2011 at 5:01 am

Kris & Kim,

I received your email last Sunday and posted a link to some friends around the world and look – one from Australia stitched up her own Christmas Apron and posted in the PROJECT section on cuteembroidery.com – she also emailed me and told me to tell you – that you have a new viewer and friend in Australia and that she loves your show and projects.

Hehehe,
    Shirlene
    Riverdale, UT

Here is her link:

• October 21, 2011 at 5:03 am

I also purchased the Kit when I was in ‘My Girdfriends Quilt Shoppe’ on Monday for the Machine Embroidery Class.

• Janet
    October 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Love this apron! My aprons are often a mess when I finish cooking but the attachable towel makes this one not only cute but functional.

• October 29, 2011 at 12:26 am

Too cute! Thanks for another great project.

• November 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Hi Chris & Kim, this apron project is a wonderful idea for the Holidays! Everyone I know could use a new apron in the kitchen and the little chefs in the house could use one too!

• Kathi
    December 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Love this and it goes together so easy although for some odd reason I am having an issue with just exactly how the seam binding gets applied, probably because I dread seam binding!! Do you encase the edge or simply lay it on top of the edge? Any comments would be really appreciated!!

• Addie
    November 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Well just finished my first ever apron. It turned out great. Just took my time and read instructions and watched video. So very pleased with the result. Thanks so much now on to the purse.

• July 19, 2013 at 3:35 am

hi my name is maha i am 10 i love to do crafts i i love your carfts they so cute a i wanted to ask if you have any kid sewing projects kids my age can think about and please let me know

• manda
    September 9, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I think the PDF instructions are in a strange layout, can be hard to follow. I would definitely make it easier to go along with. Is it one page at a time? Do I have to do one column at a time? Too many 1. 2. 1. 2. Confusing. Does the band go on before gathering? Hard to tell based on layout. I don’t like getting a PDF and still having to sit and watch a video. It should really be either or.