How to Make an Apron – My Girlfriend’s Breakfast Club Apron

October 17th, 2011

Welcome to another week of The DIY Dish! This week we are demonstrating how to make “My Girlfriend’s Breakfast Club Apron!”  We’ll also show a very cool way for gathering fabric (no more pulling bobbin threads for this one! You’ll love it!)

This apron created for a special event being held at Kris’ quilt shop. And over the next year, we will have a regular column in the magazine, Where Women Cook, that features not only DIY projects, but breakfast recipes, too! So it was only fitting to start with an apron as our first project! Here are some more photos!

These would make easy gifts to give to friends and family! A basket filled with a muffin or cookie pan, mix, and an apron would be super cute, don’t you think?

If you’re interested in a complete kit to make this apron, you can find them on sale for the next 2 days — Monday and Tuesday, October 17-18, 2011 at www.MyGirlfriendsQuiltShoppe.com! There are a ton of fabric combination kits to choose from!

The kit will not only have the fabrics, but also the “extras” that you’ll need to complete it: the decorative button, snap, bias tape, and even that “waffle cloth!” :)

Have a wonderful week everyone!

P.S. Downloadable instructions can be found here.
Apron kits at a special 2-day price can be found here.

October 17, 2011 at 6:19 am

Creativity was Served…..Loved that little snap idea with the cloth to wipe…!! and Of COURSE I LOVED your fun polka dotted Dress Form!! Can’t wait to see how you dress her in the future!!

• Hannelie
    October 17, 2011 at 8:05 am

Hi

Will you guys send to me in South Africa?
    And how much will the whole bundle be – kit and the postage?

Thanks

Hannelie

• Linn Rivera
    October 17, 2011 at 11:11 am

Great show ladies :) such a cute lil apron. and of course you guys make it easy. this would make a great gift for my 8 sisters :) .

I have already made 8 dress form pin cousins thanks again have a great week.

• Marietta
    October 17, 2011 at 11:43 am

Great idea for a Thanksgiving gift for my Chef daughter. Especially like the loop and button wipe cloth.
    Thanks a bunch from Florida USA

• October 17, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I love this apron! Thank you so much for the episode and free patern! I was thinking, since I love reversible aprons, (I’m a messy cook!) that it could be fun to double the length of the strips (from 20″ to 40″) and fold it up in half! The backside would then be the same as the front! You could sew it on three sides, right sides together, turn, press, then gather and add waistband as before. Just a thought! My Creative Best, QuirkyKim Banta

• Kathy Kauth
    October 17, 2011 at 12:28 pm

How cute I want to make a christmas theme one and maybe one for each holiday too, thank you girls.

• Catherine
    October 17, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I love this project, but there is one thing that I don’t understand — how do you turn the corners when putting on the bias tape? do you make it into a curve, or is there a secret to making corners?

• Carolyn
    October 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I really love this apron. I love love to wear aprons. I feel such a kindred spirit with my grandma, who wore an apron all the time. I can’t wait to make this for my mama and sweet sister for Christmas. Handmade gifts are the best!!
    I have already made 4 dress form pin cushions. One of them I tea dyed and french stamped. It turned out adorable. Thank you for all you do. I look so forward to each Monday, to be inspired by the beautiful crafts that you so willingly share.
    Your friend,
    Carolyn

• October 17, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Hi Catherine – that is a good question. If you are not doing a scalloped hemline, then yes, you’d want to curve the edge just a bit (even using a dinner plate to mark that curve will work nicely.)

We’re excited to see what everyone makes!

Kim :)

• Andra hepler
    October 17, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Your shows are really wonderful and make me smile!!
    thanks, Andra

• Blanca
    October 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Love the apron! So easy to make, and of course the flower! I think I am going to have to make it. lol
    Blanca

• Jodi
    October 17, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Thank you so much for these wonderful videos. You two do a great job and I very much appreciate.

• Aspen
    October 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm

It is such a cool idea. They are so cute I love them.

• nellie
    October 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm

i love this easy to sew apron and the very cute and pretty dress form ,i have enjoyed your new video,s i just want to say thank you Kim and Kris

• October 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

Hi
    What a nice apron! I’m fairly new to sewing, so I’ve got just one question. How do you finish off the edges of the waistband? I suppose you just fold the sides inwards and topstitch over it? Or is there an other way to do this?
    Isn’t it possible to order the kit in Belgium? I got an error message that my address isn’t correct (but I definetely put in the right address)..
    Thank you!

• ellen
    October 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm

HI,

Cute idea! So many possibilities in this ideas!

Would like to suggest adding a pocket or two to this, I know when I have an apron on, I really use pockets.

Blessings,

Ellen

• October 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Hi Tine,
    It’s nice to have friends in Belgium! :) You are correct — fold in each side (about 1/4″) and top-stitch to finish off the band.

As far as ordering internationally, I don’t think they have it set up to automatically do that, but if you email info@mygirlfriendsquiltshoppe.com, they can get in touch with you and see if an order can be set up.

Thanks!
    Kim

• Vicky
    October 19, 2011 at 9:30 pm

cute, cute and more cute. Love it!

• Chris
    October 20, 2011 at 5:29 am

The quilting cottons are of such poor quality that they are printed off grain. If this is visible on line, it will be really noticable in real life. Fixing this will cause the finished product to hang incorrectly and it will be worse after washing.

• Lourna
    October 20, 2011 at 9:07 am

such a nice and easy to follow project…i can make a try…thanks KK..

• October 21, 2011 at 5:01 am

Kris & Kim,

I received your email last Sunday and posted a link to some friends around the world and look – one from Australia stitched up her own Christmas Apron and posted in the PROJECT section on cuteembroidery.com – she also emailed me and told me to tell you – that you have a new viewer and friend in Australia and that she loves your show and projects.

Hehehe,
    Shirlene
    Riverdale, UT

Here is her link:

• October 21, 2011 at 5:03 am

I also purchased the Kit when I was in ‘My Girdfriends Quilt Shoppe’ on Monday for the Machine Embroidery Class.

• Janet
    October 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Love this apron! My aprons are often a mess when I finish cooking but the attachable towel makes this one not only cute but functional.

• October 29, 2011 at 12:26 am

Too cute! Thanks for another great project.

• November 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Hi Chris & Kim, this apron project is a wonderful idea for the Holidays! Everyone I know could use a new apron in the kitchen and the little chefs in the house could use one too!

• Kathi
    December 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Love this and it goes together so easy although for some odd reason I am having an issue with just exactly how the seam binding gets applied, probably because I dread seam binding!! Do you encase the edge or simply lay it on top of the edge? Any comments would be really appreciated!!

• Addie
    November 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Well just finished my first ever apron. It turned out great. Just took my time and read instructions and watched video. So very pleased with the result. Thanks so much now on to the purse.

• July 19, 2013 at 3:35 am

hi my name is maha i am 10 i love to do crafts i i love your carfts they so cute a i wanted to ask if you have any kid sewing projects kids my age can think about and please let me know

• manda
    September 9, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I think the PDF instructions are in a strange layout, can be hard to follow. I would definitely make it easier to go along with. Is it one page at a time? Do I have to do one column at a time? Too many 1. 2. 1. 2. Confusing. Does the band go on before gathering? Hard to tell based on layout. I don’t like getting a PDF and still having to sit and watch a video. It should really be either or.

• August 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm

She has a charm that is slightly reminiscent of the childhood favourite Rosie
    and Jim’s Ragdoll, with a modernized interior to suit the 21st century traveller.

Connect “A’s” positive terminal to “B’s” negative terminal.

Some day you will have to divide your worms and start
    a new farm because of their rapid reproduction rate.

Feel free to surf to my site – integrated marine systems

• August 7, 2014 at 1:40 am

I have specified few great which are hundred percent free
    to use and dedicated to latest Pakistan and Indian fashion, daily updated fashion and you can also buy online
    via paypal and western union. The higher the carat of gold, the more yellow, richer
    and golden the gold ring design will appear. It should not
    be a surprise that if some is more than interested in going for online
    shopping besides looking forward to gain the upper limit benefit by
    buying unique clothes, then it needs less mention that the is the thing that
    can help you realize the dream of buying clothes.

Review my web site :: Celebrity Dress Size 8

• August 13, 2014 at 8:52 am

” He had been admitted to the ER due to a heart attack. Don’t let yourself be baffled, acquiring benefits on the <. Until now, the only 100% approved items for moisturizing on the HCG diet have been pure baby oil and mineral oil because unlike other oils, they have no nutritional value and are will not be absorbed by the skin.

my web site: best hcg drops in the market

• August 19, 2014 at 9:58 am

Deegan was arrested and charged with human trafficking
    and drug possession after cops busted in and found the
    girls being held hostage. You need to seek Tax
    Filing Help if you would like stay away from Tax Levy complications like a Wage Levy or Bank Levy.

Avoid hype or gimmicks and let people know exactly what to expect and what they are
    required to do in order to receive what they are being
    offered.

Visit my webpage Boca Raton CPAt test

• August 19, 2014 at 9:33 pm

An online magazine could be free of charge or may cost only a fraction of its printed counterparts.
    Vintage jewelry was the charm and retro designs mixed with modern looks were
    another hit style in jewelry. Finding the very best, proper and fairly as
    well as measurement prom dress may possibly appear like a daunting job.

Look at my blog post – bodycon dresses online usa

• August 25, 2014 at 1:49 am

It also lets you add multiple portion sizes for your own foods.
    In fact, if anything else looks at the pictures of Christian Bale before he went on his diet.

Rolls demonstrates that eating these varieties of meals, principally
    before the main meal, may lead to eating fewer unhealthy calories
    during the following dinner.

my blog post hcg weight loss reviews pictures

• August 25, 2014 at 3:05 am

It is very imperative that the spaces left with the
    boxes should be closed with other things so that the furniture wouldn’t have a room
    to move while been moves about. Nevertheless, there’re several approaches you
    can minimize your budgets when you choose an Illinois Moving Companies.
    Therefore if you’re moving anywhere in Australia such as Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra, Darwin, Townsville and
    any other state or if you are moving to or from Australia, be sure to obtain the services of a decent overseas moving company.

my page; natural gas storage companies

• August 25, 2014 at 9:53 am

Residences developed within a 5 to ten moment stroll of the middle.

Not to say they have insurance to cover your valuable items which make your move safe and secure.
    If you decide to pack them yourself, you can find
    an array of supplies to help you pack.

Here is my website :: long distance moving companies reviews

• August 30, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Save yourself the hassle of moving, plus Fri day and enjoy it.
    The above talked about three methods to move Favorites in Internet Explorer 9.

People love to relocate to this place, as there are ample of opportunities for a person in Virginia.

Feel free to visit my web page: fox moving company nashville tn

• September 6, 2014 at 3:51 pm

You genuinely can make your baits really seriously enhanced in every way to be
    detectable as easily as possible and as active in water as possible, to highlight your baits
    to fish senses. Given a choice, our primates will eat nothing but bananas.
    Of course, lots of methods have evolved to try to avoid spooking fish out of your swim or even stop them from stopping feeding in the
    possible case of some line shy fish, and having
    them leave your swim.

Review my web blog deck restore vs rescue it

• September 13, 2014 at 10:51 pm

[…] How to Make an Apron – My Girlfriend’s Breakfast Club … – Welcome to another week of The DIY Dish! This week we are demonstrating how to make “My Girlfriend’s Breakfast Club Apron!” We’ll also show a very cool way …… […]

• September 26, 2014 at 10:17 am

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of
    the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking
    issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the
    same results.

• October 4, 2014 at 7:45 am

Attractive ѕection of content. I ϳust stumbled uρon уour website and іn accesion capital tօ assert that I
    get actսally enjoyed account уour blog posts.

Any waay I ԝill Ƅe subscribing to yߋur feeds aand even І achievement уou
    access consistently quickly.

• November 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Thankfulness to my father who informed me regarding this webpage, this website is truly remarkable.