How to Applique with a Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machine – Free Pattern

May 3rd, 2011

It’s an applique episode…times two! Kim will show you how to applique with a sewing machine. Kris will show you how fun it is to applique with an embroidery machine! Download the free watermelon pattern and you’ll be using the technique on just about everything! Take a look!

Here are some more photos!

Have a sewing machine? Download the watermelon paper pattern here.

Have an embroidery machine? Download the watermelon embroidery design at SWAKembroidery! Click here.

Do you love to applique? Have you wanted to applique, but weren’t sure how? Tell us about your experience here on the blog!

Have a wonderful week,

Kim & Kris

• May 3, 2011 at 7:46 am

I am now a experienced sewer by any means, but I think that I will do very well with this technique, in fact I am getting my mother over to my house for some tea and applique she is seventy nine and alot of fun. Thank You So Much for sharing all of this creativity. Dendy Seaton

• Mary
    May 3, 2011 at 8:54 am

What a wonderful tutorial and thank you for the free patterns, I think I will make a set of pillows for the sofa on my porch!

• Pat
    May 3, 2011 at 9:49 am

Great tutorial on applique but I still prefer hand applique. The sewing machine applique is wonderful. It makes you want to go out and buy a new sewing machine.

• Kathy Kauth
    May 3, 2011 at 11:07 am

Fun Stuff Girls, I also have a Janome 300E embroidery and love it. It is emb only so I can be sewing at the same time I am embroidering and really bring projects together a little faster. I have appliqued story books for the grandchildren for Christmas gifts, but the things you can do are endless. The sewing applique I like because if I want to make a design bigger then my emb machine will allow I can make my own applique pattern and use the sewing machine. I really enjoyed this episode.

• Michele
    May 3, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Great show! Another point for buying an embroidery machine!!
    Love the kitchen towel and apron idea!

• Kathy
    May 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I have always liked the look of applique but it scares the bejabbers out of me,a novice quilter so I REALLY appreciated your shows on this subject.

• Marion
    May 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I attempted machine applique back in 1984. Not many books on the subject were available. So I dived in, feet first. Used wonder-under, cut out 70 fabric hearts and practiced, practiced, practiced!!! Twelve turned out acceptable!! Since then, machine applique has changed and become informal and user friendly. I’m still in love with machine applique and find a way to incorporate it in everything I sew!!!!

• May 3, 2011 at 1:42 pm

This episode was fascinating and sew useful! I have done applique before but I basically just winged it and wasn’t super pleased with the result…now I know why–I had skipped a step!
    thanks for this!

• Peggy
    May 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Don’t ask me why but I never thought of using temporary adhesive to hold appliques in place. DUHHHHHH! Thanks for the tip!

• Melonie
    May 3, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I have only had my embroidery machine a short time and have been hesitant to try the appliques. Thanks for showing how to do it! I think I’ll try it now that I understand more how to do the steps. I love your site..thanks for helping and for all your neat craft ideas.

• Elizabeth Keller
    May 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm

great summer project;o)

• Marilyn
    May 3, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Thanks for the great tutorial and free patterns. I have an embroidery machine and just love doing appliques on it! Very easy and get really fun results!

May 3, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Just in time for those Summer Time Picnics….Hey were are the “Ants”….lol…..the possiblities are swimming…and Hey…I can do both…whoo hooo….

• Deb
    May 3, 2011 at 7:06 pm

LOVE my MC 11000 SE & I really enjoy doing applique both ways, but in embroidery mode it is much easier & a person gets a much nicer satin stitch or other outline. Thanks for the watermelon! I think placemats would be so cute like the cushion top.

• deb bremer
    May 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Great Episode!

• May 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I bought an embroidery machine last year so I could make cute things for my grandchildren. I love it!! I still consider myself a beginner but with each new project I learn something new. Thanks so much for sharing all of your great tips and techniques with us!! I look forward to each of your videos.

• May 4, 2011 at 12:39 am

Hi Kris & Kim, this is great project, just in time for watermelon season! I hope to see more embroidery tips in the future from you girls and other Janome projects. Thanks, Susan Z, NJ

• May 4, 2011 at 1:19 am

Loved this show/ I have a janome embroidery machine and have hardly used it, kind of scars me. I think I will try the applique.
    Wish you were on for one hour.
    Heather
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Canada

• Enis
    May 4, 2011 at 1:25 am

Love it, love it, love it! You girls are so great at showing us how easy crafting can be. I love machine applique and you make it look so easy. I hope everyone will try it.

• Carol
    May 4, 2011 at 3:19 am

Loved this segment, very interesting as how to use a machine embroidery. I have always used the sewing method.

• May 4, 2011 at 10:59 am

Wonderful patterns. I sew AND embroider. Can’t wait to try these out. Thanks for sharing.

• Rhonda
    May 6, 2011 at 3:38 am

Love the pillow and thanks so much for the watermelon pattern. Just getting started back watching the segments and so sad that i’ve missed out. Hope to see more cute idea’s like this because I’m seeing my new craft house decorations coming together, finally. Thanks Ladies.

• May 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Hi Kris & Kim! I’m so glad I finally got to sit down and watch this! This was the perfect episode to go along with the embroidery machine I won from you! Although I’m still learning, I’m having a great time with the machine, so thank you again for the awesome machine! And thanks for the tips! Have a wonderful Mother’s Day and I’m looking forward to more webisodes!!!

• Lorraine
    May 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Thank you for the paper pattern. I like to do applique but I am hard on myself because I think it doesn’t turn out as well as the store bought stuff. Thanks for the encouragement. Lorraine

• Diane
    May 18, 2011 at 4:44 am

Loved your episode of applique. I have only recently discovered the joys of applique and just completed a quilt with a Japanese geisha in the centre

• Linda Wallace
    February 25, 2012 at 5:23 am

Have trouble with fraying after trimming my fabric around a applique even though i trim very close after satin stitch the little threads stick out in some places how can i avoid this?

• March 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

[...] How to Applique with a Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machine …May 3, 2011 … I attempted machine applique back in 1984. Not many books on the subject were available. So I dived in, feet first. Used wonder-under, cut out … [...]

• March 26, 2012 at 2:31 pm

[...] Tutorial – Monogramming Without an Embroidery Machine …Flying Needle Machine EmbroideryHow to Applique with a Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machine …Machine Embroidery Applique Tutorial and PictorialMachine Embroidery Tips & [...]

• May 19, 2012 at 6:50 am

[...] Sewing Machine AppliqueSummer Sewing ~ Simple Machine Appliqué « Sew,Mama,Sew! BlogHow to Applique with a Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machine …sewing 101: machine appliqué | Design*SpongeSEWING MACHINE APPLIQUEBrother Applique Station [...]

• Lindsay
    June 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm

What kind of applique scissors are you using in the embroidery tutorial? Thank you!

• Evelyn
    August 2, 2012 at 1:20 am

Thank you for this post. It was most helpful. I have a new Singer Futura CE-150 and am beginning to learn machine embroidery. I have a lot of projects that I want to do for my 2 yr old granddaughter, but was trying to figure out how to get started. Now I believe I’m ready.

• Lorie Sharbono
    September 6, 2012 at 2:21 am

Can you tell my what model janome you are using? I am looking into purchasing a machine. And I love the one you are using! Thanks!

• Debbie Walker
    October 12, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Loved the video and Im getting started on the applique design, but noticed the cute gray scarf one on
    you was wearing . Is that a t-shirt and how did you do it??

Thanks
    Debbie

• Ashlee
    October 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I am new to embroidery machines, but you said that’s a 4X4 hoop. Does that mean 4 inches x 4 inches? If so, the hoop in the video looks bigger than that. I’m confused…

• Robin LUmpkin
    October 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I just did my first machine applique and it puckered horribly. I don’t know what I did wrong.

• March 2, 2013 at 5:41 pm

[...] How to Applique with a Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machine … [...]

• Debbie Picardi
    April 2, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Hello,
    Loved your applique episode. I am new to machine embroidering, I was told to use wonder under on my fabric before appliqueing, I saw where you didn’t. Is this not necessary?

Thank You!

• Angela
    April 7, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Awesome! Watched the video, got up and made it. Turned out perfect.

Thanks!

• Claire
    May 10, 2013 at 1:33 am

I am just starting to sew. I bought a simple pattern to make a dress for my 2 YO daughter. I want to dress it up a little with an appliqué that I can add her initial. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the Singer 9960 so I will be able to do limited monogramming. Thank you very much!

• Christina
    May 31, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I really enjoyed your tutorial! Do you know where to find watermelon seed buttons? Or black heart buttons? I can’t seem to find them anywhere! In stores or online. :(

• July 22, 2013 at 5:52 am

I loved this webisode it is so easy for me that I have a sewing machine

• Belinda Meeker
    August 6, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Is that contact paper u used for the sticky stuff or is there a brand for just embroidering??

• Belinda Meeker
    August 6, 2013 at 5:58 pm

never mind i found some thanks love ur work :)

• August 10, 2013 at 11:40 pm

[...] the sewing machine or an embroidery machine. They even have a free pattern. So be sure and visit DIYdish. where I linked it to the post with the free pattern.  They also have some great photo’s [...]

• October 14, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Hi there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same
    results.

• Dixie
    December 29, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I needed a simple embroidery machine applique to start off with this was perfect, thank you

• azizul hoque surjo
    January 29, 2014 at 5:26 pm

hi dear sir
    have a good day we are needed Applique Machine i hope well be good quality we r buy

With regards    . . . . . . . . . ?
    Azizul Hoque  ( SURJO )
    Managing director

BUYING AGENT & HEAD OFFICE
    S B   FASHION
    House # 903 Didar Chamber C D A avenue east Nasiabad.
    Chittagong Bangladesh
    CELL= +8801819947321 +8801195131498   +8801772354851

• March 1, 2014 at 7:54 am

When you’re going to rent a comic, think about these tips as a useful
    guide, pointing in the fitting direction. It is
    an industry norm that you offer a hotel room for the comedian at the
    same time. Well, it can easily be because the
    audience has been watching her in the TV for the past 6 years, but nevertheless, her FACTS are easy to remember and apply to everyone.

• March 16, 2014 at 7:24 am

Realty Times did articles entitled, “Look to the Stars for Decorating Advice”, featuring astrologer John Marchesella, who claims that knowing your Sun Sign can assist you choose colors for
    your home. Agents gives you or maybe your agent an alert when they are going to get through the house.
    With a property inspection to demonstrate the house is sound, and your minor improvements,
    the house features a better potential for attracting serious buyers.

• April 2, 2014 at 7:32 pm

This walkthrough will illustrate the way to
    use a SLAX compilation to your USB stick through windows.
    It they can be handy particularly when you’re in a situation where any girl
    use may be the manual type. If a drive is beginning to fret or fear
    their driving, they’re not going to perform nearly as well while
    they would inside a relaxed or happy state.

• April 3, 2014 at 12:23 am

Singer sewing machine really represents durability and quality.

Singer Castle is the only castle on the river to be completed, it is fully furnished and resided in.
    There are four skiing and snowboarding areas (owned by a private skiing company) on a cluster of four
    mountains near to Aspen and Snowmass villages which attracts the tourists more
    to the place.

• April 7, 2014 at 7:35 am

Some of the benefits are: increased secretion of
    HGH, enhances the results of other hormones, enhancing the synthesis of Phosphatidyl
    Choline to boost mental focus and cognition function, improves is a result of workouts, improves fat removal from the liver to assist prevent
    obesity and diabetes, and cuts down on chance of
    cardiac event, stroke and Alzheimer’s disease.
    Then from a small amount of time without the such product (roughly monthly to ninety days) they may try
    the other formula. The great thing, there’s a thoroughly tested way for you to help you counteract the signs of aging in a very no sweat fashion.

• April 9, 2014 at 12:01 pm

With, consequently, the allegation for patients to get a variety of treatments, added or below effective,
    using stents in the operation surgery. Take a dampened wash cloth and place it on your own penis.

Accomplishing that is safest with each of the self-proclaimed methods plus in
    end you get a big and erect dick naturally and permanently.

• April 19, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Here comes Psycho Mom again, I could almmost hear her say.
    Since many of the people that work in these stores sew as well they
    would probably have a good knowledge base of who can help you with your issue.
    Wen Mc – Grath (Vomag), chief engineer Robert Zahn, has developed a new automatic
    machine, far better than the other models on the market.

• April 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

The goal here’s to exchange Internet time with something
    positive so your spouse looks to it. For example, you’ll be able to
    setup two regular times for checking your email — 9 am and 4
    pm. When you judge yourself for virtually any failure, you create an emptiness inside that then would like
    to get filled.

• April 21, 2014 at 11:27 am

Hey there, You have done a great job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally
    recommend to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from
    this website.

Here is my webpage :: Fifa 14 Ultimate Coins

• April 21, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Where do find the applique font stitching. Both the run on and satin?

• April 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Beneficial information shared. I am very happy to read
    this article. many thanks for giving us nice information.
    appreciate this post.

Also visit my homepage :: lancome Skin care

• April 22, 2014 at 10:02 pm

This could be the best blog for everyone who desires to be familiar with
    this topic. You already know much its practically difficult to argue along.
    Superb stuff, simply great!

Feel free to visit my blog post – genf20 plus (http://claritahardy1966.wordpress.com/)