Make a Garden Apron – A Perfect Beginner Sewing Project for Kids!

April 12th, 2011

We just finished up “Spring Break” with our families. Since many of you will be going on Spring Break soon…and Summer is just around the corner, we thought it would be fun to have an episode dedicated to the kids!  Learn how to make this easy garden apron — it’s a great sewing project for the beginner — and it comes from our DVD: The DIY Dish Summer Crafts for Kids.  So go ahead and gather the kiddos around…they may want to start sewing this week!

The DVD is divided into four fun weeks of summertime crafting activities.  Each week is based around a theme with something fun to do every day! (Of course, you could always spread out the project throughout the summer, too!)  The DVD also comes with a companion guide in PDF format that includes step-by-step instructions for the adult to read while watching the videos.

If you need to entertain older and younger kids, no worries!  Many of the projects include an easier version for the little kids and a more challenging version for the big kids. Your children will love learning new skills and the confidence gained through creating. You’ll love that you only need inexpensive materials or things you likely already have around the house.

The projects included on the DVD are great for parents and kids, grandparents and grandchildren, summer camps, scout troops, family reunions, and both boys and girls!  They’ll be excited and proud to say “I made it with my Mom!” (or grandma, troop leader, etc.)!

The Summer Crafts for Kids DVD features:

• In the Garden:
    Wooden Spoon Garden Markers, Watermelon Maracas, Placemat Garden Aprons, Tin Can Planters, and Edible Worms
  • Gone Camping:
    Camping Bandana Pillows, S’Mores Stick Puppets, Explorer Boxes, Nature Notecards & Bookmarks, and Nature Jewelry
  • Cookies In The Kitchen
    Dishtowel Aprons, Decorate Your Dishtowel Aprons, The “Cookie Concoction Contest”, Cookie Containers, and The Cookie Cookbook
  • Love Your Country
    Handprint Flags, Firework Crafts, Salad Spinner and Straw Fireworks, Soft Candy Holders, and Dress Up Flip Flops

The projects are not intended for children under 3, and are best for ages 3-12. And for a limited time, the DVD is on sale for $10. We also have a limited quantity so this price is for the DVD while supplies last. Payment by Paypal or Credit card is accepted. We are currently shipping to the US and Canada. Click here for more information.

We also had a great response last year when we introduced the idea of creating a “grandma camp” where grandmas and their grandchildren would do these projects together.  If you’re interested in this idea, be sure to download these free bonus pages here. It will include a “s’mores invite” and other items that will make your summer special.

We can’t wait to see the garden aprons your children will make! Be sure to post on our Flickr or Facebook pages!

What kinds of fun things do you like to do with your children? Let us know by making a comment below.

Have a wonderful week!
-Kim and Kris

April 12, 2011 at 3:21 am

LOVE THIS!!…I love things you can do with the placemats..and this was a new one..Perfect!!

• Wendy
    April 12, 2011 at 4:45 am

A great idea, I think I am going to have my daughter make some of these for her sisters.

• Dollie Buss
    April 12, 2011 at 4:51 am

We have already planted some seeds in Jiffy Starter Pots so this would be the next step in getting our Garden act together. Thanks again girls.

• Esther Hopland
    April 12, 2011 at 5:55 am

Keep up with the nice projects. I love your garden apron

• Elizabeth Keller
    April 12, 2011 at 9:36 am

Great project. Maybe this would inspire my 12 year old to try sewing;o)

• Joanne B
    April 12, 2011 at 11:41 am

Iam un able to open the video i have a little box in the left corner that you can right click on it but still can not open it . the only way i can watch it is go to you tube a find the current video can you help?

JB

• Ricki Duke
    April 12, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Love to repurpose things! Great video.

• April 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm

What a cute project! Now…if only i could get my girls to get crafty with me. Maybe in a few years they’ll be more interested.

• Karen
    April 13, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I love this. Got a plan for it already. I noticed in the shelf behind you the bird from a previous episode but he is backwards. Hiny out :-) . I have made two as gifts already. What a fun project. Now I need to make one for myself.
    Thanks for all the ideas. Love you guys!

• Kathy Kauth
    April 14, 2011 at 2:56 am

Nice job girls, I like to see ways kids can be creative and feel they have accomplished something, I think the garden idea is good and if they made a bunch of smaller pockets it could become a craft apron and hold crayons or markers etc.

• April 15, 2011 at 4:10 am

Love the aprons, love your blog!

• Neddie58
    April 16, 2011 at 1:28 am

something easy to do love it

• February 28, 2014 at 11:23 am

Hello, eveey time i used to check weblog posts here in the earl hours iin the break oof day,
    ssince i love to learn more and more.

My weblog: Fine Jewelry (drawsomethingdrawings.net)

• April 16, 2014 at 3:03 am

Unless the stator windings have burned up, the ony
    maintenance they need is cleaning and oiling. Of course the
    hardest part will be ldft to you, after all men think too highly of themselves to clean the bathroom.
    Make sure you have plenty of soft washcloths, scented soaps and face masks oon hand.