How to Make a Clutch Handbag

April 5th, 2011

Welcome to Episode 3 of Season 3! This week we are making a basic clutch handbag — and we can’t wait to see what you do to embellish it! Take a look!

A big thank you to Janome — this week’s sponsor of The DIY Dish! We used the Janome MC11000 to complete this project.  Talk about a fantastic sewing AND embroidery machine in one!  If you’d like to find more details about this fantastic machine, click here.

Here are some more photos of this week’s project!  We can’t wait to see how you embellish yours! Be sure to post photos on our Facebook or Flickr pages!

We used this modern floral embroidery design found here.

We used this tropical floral embroidery design found here. It is a FREE design found at!

And finally, we took fabric scraps, tied them in a knot, and sewed them in a row to the clutch!

We’d love to hear YOUR ideas on how to embellish the basic clutch! Post your thoughts below!

Have a wonderful week everyone!

• aspen
    April 20, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I have made 14 in one afternoon. So easy and FUN:)

• Rosalee
    April 26, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I made 4 of these clutches for friends that I would be meeting at the AEC this past week. But realized when I gave them theirs that I forgot to make one for myself. So I will be making another one as soon as I can get caught up a bit after being gone for almost a week. The clutches were a big hit and everyone loved them. And so easy to do. Thank you sew much for this great little clutch project.

• Wanda Romano
    May 29, 2011 at 11:51 pm

What a simple but great idea. I’ll share this project with my grandkids for their first project. Keep your ideas coming. I enjoy your show. Wanda

• marga saludario
    June 22, 2011 at 2:29 am

i love your crafts. it’s so amazing! you’re both great! love it!

• marga saludario
    June 22, 2011 at 2:31 am

can i copy the pictures so it can my inspirations, to make as beautiful clutch.. tnx Kris and Kim..

• June 23, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Very cute clutch! I can’t wait to make a few of these.

• August 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Hi Kris & Kim, I wanted to thank you for the tutorial & inspiration. I made a few and can’t wait to really get creative with this! I blogged your video tutorial & my first few I made!

Thanks. xo Theresa

• September 6, 2011 at 7:40 am

Love the embroidery details. And the dragonfly. So chic. :)

• October 6, 2011 at 1:14 am

Hi, is this video available somewhere now? It is not showing up here for me. Thanks!

• Erica
    February 17, 2012 at 12:34 am

Identical twins = pretty creepy.

• June 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm

You already know therefore considerably in terms of this topic, produced me for my part believe it from so many varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t involved except it’s something to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. At all times care for it up!

• Edith Rains
    August 27, 2012 at 2:26 am

I just love your tutorials, especially this one about clutch bags. Anxious to make several of them. Please come back, please, please!!!! Edi

• November 23, 2012 at 9:11 am

I like the tutorial
    The tutorial about clutch bag is easy to understand
    Love it

• guest
    December 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm

kindly post videos that how to made a clutch?

• December 27, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Hey there! I love love your videos and all the ideas I get from watching!! just one question though.. do you use a lightweight or heavyweight feasible interfacing? want to make mine right away!!! thanks =)

• July 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm

i love it

• December 19, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Howdy, Cool publish. There’s an difficulty using your site inside internet explorer, may well take a look at? Firefox ‘s still industry chief as well as a enormous section of other individuals will probably miss out on your own wonderful writing because of this challenge.

• January 30, 2014 at 3:11 am

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text
    in your article seem tto be running offf the screen inn Safari.
    I’m not sure if this iis a format issue orr something to doo wikth web browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.

The design and style look great though! Hoppe you get the
    issue solved soon. Many thanks

• October 4, 2014 at 10:57 am

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your artixles
    as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage?
    My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors
    would truly benefit from some of the information you present here.
    Please let mee know iif this alright with you. Appreciate

• January 21, 2015 at 7:47 am

Even many of my personal training clients struggle with this
    one. Muscle iss built using proteims found flat stomach in 2 weeks plan foods
    and it also keeps your body from attacking the muscle for extra calordies once you’ve gotten rid of the fat your body stores.
    My naje is Gergana Ganeva and I am the owner of websitte called Healthy
    Body Exercises at.

• January 30, 2015 at 5:49 am

Wilkinson said she’s depressed and has had trouble sleeping.
    Author Info: – Author is from weight loss industry and has done lots of research from last decade over Weight Loss
    pills. As truthful information about the causes of obesity proliferate on the Internet, it’s only
    a matter of time before millions of people will be able to 1) achieve
    permanent weight loss and 2) prevent obesity-related diseases.

• March 11, 2015 at 9:05 am

Kids that recognize and can identify a large number of junk food advertisements are actually
    more obese than their less television savvy counterparts, says Dr Auden C.
    Author Info: – Author is from weight loss industry
    and has done lots of research from last decade over Weight Loss
    pills. Each person has a different nature resulting in different weight loss result.

• August 22, 2015 at 6:38 am

Wow, that’s what I was seeking for, what a material!
    present here at this weblog, thanks admin of this site.

• June 28, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Details Of The Ribbon Bow Clutch Handbag Purse

[…] one for myself. So I will be making another one as soon as I can get caught up […]

• August 15, 2016 at 9:12 pm

The Pink Inspirations Dish Garden

[…] almost a week. The clutches were a big hit and everyone loved them. And so easy […]

• August 20, 2016 at 2:10 am

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. But just imagine if you added some great visuals or video
    clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and
    video clips, this blog could definitely be one
    of the very best in its field. Terrific blog!

• Cheryl Rougeau
    October 3, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Hi Kris and Kim, I recently discovered your channel and would love to download some of the patterns for you craft ideas. Can you tell me how or where to go to get the downloads? Thank you, Cheryl