How to Make a Clutch Handbag

April 5th, 2011

Welcome to Episode 3 of Season 3! This week we are making a basic clutch handbag — and we can’t wait to see what you do to embellish it! Take a look!

A big thank you to Janome — this week’s sponsor of The DIY Dish! We used the Janome MC11000 to complete this project.  Talk about a fantastic sewing AND embroidery machine in one!  If you’d like to find more details about this fantastic machine, click here.

Here are some more photos of this week’s project!  We can’t wait to see how you embellish yours! Be sure to post photos on our Facebook or Flickr pages!

We used this modern floral embroidery design found here.

We used this tropical floral embroidery design found here. It is a FREE design found at SWAKembroidery.com!

And finally, we took fabric scraps, tied them in a knot, and sewed them in a row to the clutch!

We’d love to hear YOUR ideas on how to embellish the basic clutch! Post your thoughts below!

Have a wonderful week everyone!

• Brendajos
    April 5, 2011 at 3:45 am

What a super cute and easy idea. Fun little way of gifting gift cards and such too.

I have this machine in the Special Edition version. I think if my house were on fire I would consider grabbing it with one hand and the dog with the other! :-) You know, I have had it for over a year now, and have never paid any attention to that accufeed thingy. So glad you showed it today. May need to get it out and play with it now. :-)

April 5, 2011 at 4:30 am

LOVE IT!! Yes totally Simple but too FUN!!! Great Project for EVERYONE! Cool thanks you two!!

• Paxie
    April 5, 2011 at 4:47 am

This looks like a fun project. I’ve already got ideas . . . I am going to add some inside pockets too.

• April 5, 2011 at 5:08 am

wowo I luv luv it, I have enough fabric to do this. I don’t have an embroidery machine, but I can use lace and other items.
    Maggie

• Diane L.
    April 5, 2011 at 5:17 am

This is a cute idea I’m going to use with teaching my granddaughters sewing skills. They have such a great imagination that it will be fun to see their embellishment ideas.

• v
    April 5, 2011 at 5:42 am

I think this would even be fun to mail a card in. looks like fun

• Linda Evans
    April 5, 2011 at 6:34 am

This excellent project even for beginners and love the details that you added to each one.
    Also this clutch purse can be used for so many different thing from sewing on the go to storing coupons, great idea.
    Linda E
    gemstone1963@hotmail.com

• nellie diaz
    April 5, 2011 at 7:39 am

that is one beauitful sewing machine boy sure would enjoy sewing on this one ,i can make so many beauitful projects with this sewing machine

• Vivien Irvin
    April 5, 2011 at 11:07 am

Love it! I’m thinking of making mine with a little cell phone pocket on the side and maybe another pocket on the other side for credit card/ID.

• Melinda Clark
    April 5, 2011 at 11:24 am

I love how simple. I am going to try different closures like velcro, snaps, and pony tail holders. The embellishing is endless with the embroidery machine. You can also use that vinyl material and make them water resistant for your beach /lake retreat bag. Thanks for making something sew simple for a novice like me.

• Kathy Kauth
    April 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Good Idea, I can see making a larger one with plastic and roll up for a change pad for babies too

• Elizabeth Keller
    April 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm

this would make a great coupon caddy also! Thanks for the great idea;o)

• Ricki Duke
    April 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm

This would be a great project to orginize the inside of the big purses we all carry! You could have 2 or 3 different ones inside to help keep the clutter down and things in place. Off to make some now. Thanks,

• April 5, 2011 at 1:16 pm

What a great project that can be made so quickly with lots of embellishment options. Great sewing machine!!

• Marietta
    April 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I just finished teaching my Amer Sewing Guild group your Episode 5 Season 1 shoulder bag and they will love this for a matching insert into that big hobo bag. They were just wild about the finished bags, by the way. Can’t wait to show them this one. Thanks a bunch. Keep up the good work.

• April 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm

The vidoe was blocked this morning. Also is there a PDF for this project. I can see the project pictures but not your weekly video.

• Bonnie Roberts
    April 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Love these Clutches. Will try one soon.

• Jaye
    April 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I really enjoyed this darling, easy project. I just might make a few this afternoon! Thank you once again, I really love your program!

• Shar
    April 5, 2011 at 2:18 pm

So fun – the clutch ideas are endless! Thanks!

• April 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm

i have the janome horizon and now i’m a definate janome girl!!!!
    great project! how did you sew on the fabric knots to the silver one? by hand?

• May-Lynn
    April 5, 2011 at 2:26 pm

sooooooooooo Cute. Thank you again for a cute project

• April 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm

These are super gorgeous and can be decorated so differently. I can’t watch right now but this vid is bookmark’d for sure. Thanks gals, love your show!!

One question, any ideas on what to use if you don’t have any fusible interfacing stuff?

• April 5, 2011 at 2:34 pm

What a versatile idea! This would work anywhere, anytime depending on how dressy you want it to be. Thank you so much for the tutorial. It’s a great project!

• April 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm

These make my heart go pitter-patter, and they look pretty darn easy to make! Love, love, love.

• thelma
    April 5, 2011 at 3:36 pm

will definitely be making some of these and also using it as a teaching project for summer sewing camp. it’s a great beginner project that i know the middle school girls will love! they can then use their clutches to carry necessities inside their bookbags, pool/beach bags. thanks girls!

• April 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I love that machine from Jenome!

• Donna
    April 5, 2011 at 5:24 pm

A place mat; either purchased or hand-crafted can be used to create these wonderful clutches. Do embroidery first as instructed in the video and continue on with its construction and embellishing. Basic clutches could be made ahead of time and embellishment items provided for party guest to decorate them. The items could be made available in cupcake pans, each recess filled with like stuff or grab bags made up for a luck-of-the-draw one-of-a-kind clutch

• Donna
    April 5, 2011 at 5:26 pm

ps they would make a great rotary-cutter holder.

• April 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm

super les filles maios tous vos videos ne s ouvrent pas dommage bises

• Janet
    April 5, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Love the Janome machine (and the bag)! Some day I’ll upgrade to the Janome11000!

• SAndra
    April 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Cute! love the Janome machine I hope some day to get one.

• Sandra
    April 5, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Love the clutch bags! Thanks for sharing ow to make them. I’m a little frustrated with Janome–I was fascinated with your demonstration of the machine and clicked on every link I could find, but I can’t find a price anywhere. Tried several online dealers and nobody lists a price…

• Dollie Buss
    April 5, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Great idea for a “Red Hat Lady” clutch. Easy enough t make for the whole gang. Would be a great coupon caddy for the purse too. Bigger ones could be made out of placemats. Hope to try out some of these. As always thanks for the great ideas.

• Agnes
    April 5, 2011 at 11:13 pm

So cute, I love them.

• Esther Hopland
    April 6, 2011 at 3:56 am

Your clutch is fabulous! I am going to make one right away!

• April 6, 2011 at 5:05 am

of course I would want to embellish with flowers and bling.. great fast idea. Thanks Kim and Kris and Janome.

• Ammy
    April 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm

ooooo…I WANT THAT MACHINE!!!!

• Carla
    April 6, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I can’t wait to try these, does anyone know what weight of interfacing we should use???

Thanks

Carla

• April 7, 2011 at 1:33 am

Hi Carla! I used a medium weight, fusible interfacing from pellon. Hope that helps!

• April 7, 2011 at 5:35 am

Hi Kim and Kris, I like your clutch bag ideas and I have the Janome MC11000 to sew them up with, too!
    I found some flip flops, swim suits and flower fabrics to make this project with for summer bags… Thanks
    Just to let you know that Janome is making pink bobbins with a pink case and 2 nice new sewing machines for Breast Cancer with the pink ribbon on them, been watching for them to reach the stores, I heard one machine runs around 700. retail which is a great deal for what this machine’s features are!

• Linda
    April 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm

This would be great in a bright color for when I go grocery shopping. I can put my coupons and check book in it and always be able to spot it right away. I have a piece of silver lamme and black lace that Im am going to make a bag with and I can emblish it with a rhinestone pin. CAN’T WAIT

• Tanya
    April 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I am thinking this would be perfect for my daughter to put some of her smaller items she needs for her performances. Putting her name on it too would be even better

• Jenni
    April 9, 2011 at 5:15 am

You two are such a breath of fresh air. Thanks for your time and hard work in putting all these fun crafts out there! And yes I always feel as though creativity is served!!

• Marie G.
    April 9, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Too cute by half!!! Can’t wait to make them for my granddaughters!

• Donna Cowan
    April 12, 2011 at 2:17 am

What a simple fun project!! Isn’t the MC11K a wonderful machine?? I love mine & my 10K also.
    Keep up the great work on your videos.

• Virginia
    April 12, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Is there a PDF for the clutch bag project.

I have tried to view the video on both of my computers. nnd have not been able to get it work. Have never had it happen. All the other ones are showing perfectly.

It is blocking out the contnent. Even on Facebook.

• Neddie58
    April 16, 2011 at 12:50 am

Wow, to cool

• Trisha
    April 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Very nice. I love that new acu guide!

• Ng Lay Yen
    April 19, 2011 at 5:52 am

Great project ! But I couldn’t find the PDF for the clutch bag project in the blog. Has it been missed out ?

• April 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm

What a great project to do with my daughters. They will love it!

• aspen
    April 20, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I have made 14 in one afternoon. So easy and FUN:)

• Rosalee
    April 26, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I made 4 of these clutches for friends that I would be meeting at the AEC this past week. But realized when I gave them theirs that I forgot to make one for myself. So I will be making another one as soon as I can get caught up a bit after being gone for almost a week. The clutches were a big hit and everyone loved them. And so easy to do. Thank you sew much for this great little clutch project.

• Wanda Romano
    May 29, 2011 at 11:51 pm

What a simple but great idea. I’ll share this project with my grandkids for their first project. Keep your ideas coming. I enjoy your show. Wanda

• marga saludario
    June 22, 2011 at 2:29 am

i love your crafts. it’s so amazing! you’re both great! love it!

• marga saludario
    June 22, 2011 at 2:31 am

can i copy the pictures so it can my inspirations, to make as beautiful clutch.. tnx Kris and Kim..

• June 23, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Very cute clutch! I can’t wait to make a few of these.

• August 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Hi Kris & Kim, I wanted to thank you for the tutorial & inspiration. I made a few and can’t wait to really get creative with this! I blogged your video tutorial & my first few I made!

Thanks. xo Theresa
    DearCreatives.com

• September 6, 2011 at 7:40 am

Love the embroidery details. And the dragonfly. So chic. :)

• October 6, 2011 at 1:14 am

Hi, is this video available somewhere now? It is not showing up here for me. Thanks!

• Erica
    February 17, 2012 at 12:34 am

Identical twins = pretty creepy.

• June 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm

You already know therefore considerably in terms of this topic, produced me for my part believe it from so many varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t involved except it’s something to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. At all times care for it up!

• Edith Rains
    August 27, 2012 at 2:26 am

I just love your tutorials, especially this one about clutch bags. Anxious to make several of them. Please come back, please, please!!!! Edi

• November 23, 2012 at 9:11 am

I like the tutorial
    Great
    The tutorial about clutch bag is easy to understand
    Love it
    Great!!!

• guest
    December 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm

kindly post videos that how to made a clutch?

• December 27, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Hey there! I love love your videos and all the ideas I get from watching!! just one question though.. do you use a lightweight or heavyweight feasible interfacing? want to make mine right away!!! thanks =)

• July 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm

i love it

• December 19, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Howdy, Cool publish. There’s an difficulty using your site inside internet explorer, may well take a look at? Firefox ‘s still industry chief as well as a enormous section of other individuals will probably miss out on your own wonderful writing because of this challenge.

• January 30, 2014 at 3:11 am

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text
    in your article seem tto be running offf the screen inn Safari.
    I’m not sure if this iis a format issue orr something to doo wikth web browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.

The design and style look great though! Hoppe you get the
    issue solved soon. Many thanks

• October 4, 2014 at 10:57 am

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your artixles
    as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage?
    My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors
    would truly benefit from some of the information you present here.
    Please let mee know iif this alright with you. Appreciate
    it!