Crafting with Yarn: Studio 5 Segment All About This Fun Fiber!

March 9th, 2011

Confession: We love YARN just about as much as we love fabric.

Yep, just about!

And so when Studio 5 asked us to come up with some projects created with yarn, and that did not involve knitting or crochet, we were up for the challenge! From home decor to fashion accessories, we have a few fun things to share! Watch the clip below to see what we did!

What do you think? Have you created anything with yarn recently? We’d love to hear!

Tags: , , ,

• Kathleen Miller
    March 9, 2011 at 3:34 am

Looks like another trip to the craft store is in my immediate future! Fun ideas!

• Karlee
    March 9, 2011 at 5:48 am

Oh, oh, oh I am loving how that garland turned out, so super cute. I am totally going to have to be making that for my RS birthday dinner, once again you guys are saving me. It all turned out so cute. I loved seeing what you finally decided on and what you came up with. I have been thinking about you guys a whole bunch this week and hope that you are surviving but mostly that you are having the best of time:) Thanks for the fun ideas!!!

March 9, 2011 at 7:19 am

Watched you when it aired…well of course on line at Studio 5 as I am here in WA….but FANTASTIC….my fav is of course the couching part..which I do as well!!! Gotta love the Fibers!!

Great Segment!

• March 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I am *inspired*

Thanks again! :)

• Shana
    March 10, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I actually had some vinegar bottles that i had been saving because they were in vase shape. After watching the segment i went and wrapped them with yarn and put them in my daughters room. Also I am planning to do the garland for my daughter’s birthday party when she turns one. She is having a polka dot party and that would be perfect! Thanks for all the great ideas!

• Stephanie
    March 11, 2011 at 1:10 pm

great projects. i really like the open yarn balls. i’ve seen them and likes them places. but so expensive. never thought about making myself like that. thought we have done the balloon wrap egg-shaped and then cut into Easter basket decoration.
    well, we have a yarn creation i bet no one else does. a 3″ yarn ball. yeah, i feel the jealousy. my son’s eagle project was knitting 150 hats for humanitarian services and at some point (wait, i am spilling the secret here) he put the leftover yarn in the dryer to get fuzzies off or something and wahlaa the giant ball. yeah, that’s a conversation piece.

• March 12, 2011 at 4:12 am

Great ideas, Kris. I love the yarn balls (over the balloon), and yes I did that as a kid, but they can be whatever you want, rustic, elegant, and then I though, they would make great Christmas ornaments, and not be to heavy, add a little glitter. The bottle is super, too. Cute stuff.

• March 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Fan-tab-u-lous!!! I love the way that this project just goes on and on with endless project ideas. When I saw the pom-poms I was thrilled to see what other creative ideas you all would have. You guys always amaze me!

• Melissa
    March 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I love yarn! These are some great ideas. I can’t wait to try them out. Thanks for sharing your creativity!

• Sandi
    March 17, 2011 at 3:41 am

I love working with yarns and other fibers. I love the garland!! I just posted a couple of scarfs I made in the Flickr Group that were not knitted or crocheted. Hope you enjoy them!

• Renee
    March 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I tried to do the open yarn ball, but it is too soft. What is the way you did it to get it hard?

• March 25, 2011 at 4:44 am

Hi Renee! I’m so sorry you didn’t have much luck with the open yarn ball. My best advice would me to use a lightweight yarn, mixed in with the white glue (with just a little water), squeeze the excess glue off of the yarn before placing onto the balloon, and then allow to completely dry. The drying process can take up to a couple of days. I hope this information helps. Good luck!

• March 25, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I love the Joel dewberry line of fabric first bloom.