Episode 11: Satin, Sequin, and Paper Rose Hearts

January 25th, 2011

We had a lot of fun this week finding ways to decorate a simple  STYROFOAM™ Heart. With 3 different techniques, we covered them in something we hope you’ll love!  So take a look at our DIY Dish Craft Countdown this week — and we took away the 2-minute clock this episode!

Here are more photos of the project!  We’d love to know which are your top 2 favorites!  We’re going to post each of these techniques on our Facebook page and we’d love for you to vote for your favorite by either “liking” it on Facebook or making a comment here or on the photos you’ll find on Facebook.

Valentine Heart #1: Satin Roses! Click here to vote for Satin Roses on Facebook!

Valentine Heart #2: Paper Roses!  Click here to vote for Paper Roses on Facebook!

Valentine Heart #3: Sequin Hearts! Click here to vote for SEQUIN HEARTS on Facebook!

Finally, we’re excited to let you know about a new quilt pattern we’ll have coming out this week! Here’s a little look!

Don’t forget…Vote for your favorite Valentine Heart! Make a comment on Facebook or here on our blog. We love to hear from you! And if you have any other ideas for covering these styrofoam hearts, we’d love to hear those, too!

Kim & Kris

• Deborah Ocasio
    January 25, 2011 at 6:30 am

I am in love with this project!!! My favorite is the paper roses! It looks vintage. Thank you for sharing this

Debbie O in Idaho

• Marie Burnett
    January 25, 2011 at 6:45 am

#3 for me!!! Actually it will be for my daughter and her new house. Hope I can find the just right sequins and the zebra background paper and frame. She will Love it for sure if I do.

• January 25, 2011 at 8:53 am

I love all of them but those red roses have got to be my pick!
    Mary

• Francisca
    January 25, 2011 at 9:09 am

Do we really need to choose? I love them all 3 but with the paper roses my daughter can help. She loves crafting with her mom.

• January 25, 2011 at 9:11 am

Love the satin one and the sequined one the best. EVERY time I hear someone mention paper roses I sint “the” song too lol

• January 25, 2011 at 9:11 am

sing duh :)

• Pat
    January 25, 2011 at 9:39 am

Happy Valentine’s Day, I love the projects.

• January 25, 2011 at 11:09 am

I heart all of those valentines!
    Love the Zots!

• Jill Harris
    January 25, 2011 at 11:50 am

You girls simply amaze me…another fantastic craft! All three of these hearts are soooo beautiful I am going to make them all and put them together because of the different textures. However, if I have to vote for one I would vote for the paper roses because of the vintage look and the recycling feature (using old books). They are all, however equally beautiful – that’s why I’ll be making all three!

• Sheryl J
    January 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Loved all 3, but my favorite was the satin roses. I haven’t seen that technique before. Can’t wait to try it.
    Sheryl in Ohio

• Marietta
    January 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I like number two the best – the paper roses.
    Thats hard to admit, coming from a fabricaholic.

• Laura Greig
    January 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I think the paper roses were the best…you could even use an old book of love poems to further the theme. I also will be on the lookout for old prom or bridesmaid dresses for some satin, those flowers were lovely! Thx!

• thelma
    January 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm

oh my!………..i have to agree that all 3 heart projects are great! i love them all for their different styles, but if i have to pick just one it would be the satin roses……so elegant and beautiful. the paper roses are a great project for a girl scout troop!!

• Debbie Boswell
    January 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm

so cute, Marie would be proud especially since you could be her sisters!

• JaNeT
    January 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Love these ideas!

• January 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Oh my, all 3 projects are fabulous, I luv the satin roses, I saw similar at a posh store for $225.00.
    Have a fabulous week,
    Maggie

• Ricki Duke
    January 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm

My fav is the paper roses. So simple to make and so cute.

• Janelle Miller
    January 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm

So cute!! You always make it look so easy!!! LOVE IT!

Janelle

• Jacque
    January 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I love the satin roses best – such a pretty project! Ya’ll are the greatest!

• January 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Loved all the heart, but i think i would have to pick the satin for i think it is something i could do, but i like the sequin for it is something my girls could do. I think i will let the girls make one for there teachers, both school and sunday school. Thanks so much for the ideas. You guys are great.

• Linda
    January 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm

All 3 are simply darling and creative. What an elegant look with the satin roses! And the paper roses have that vintage look that we all love. Love the idea of one viewer to use love poems for that extra special touch. You’ve done it again with inspiration for all of us! Thanks

• Janet
    January 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I think it will have to be the red satin roses for me! Great idea!

• January 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Love the ideas ~ Love the paper roses the best ~ Love your blog ~ Love all the other ideas from your blog friends!! Thanks for all the Valentines Day LOVE! XOXO

• January 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Just thinking… Wouldn’t it be fun for you do get Marie to do a guest appearance on one of your tutorials? Especially since you all have so much in common… Beautiful resemblance, Utah, and CRAFTS! (she loves them too!)

• Michelle
    January 25, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I just love the satin roses. My daughter made some with a friend to put on hair clips and ever since I have wanted to try them somewhere else. This is a great idea!

• January 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I like really like the paper roses but also like the satin ones too.

• January 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Love all 3 but the satin roses are my favorite.

• Tami
    January 25, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Those red satin roses have got to be my favorite. How Beautiful. I have some red satin in my fabric stash…can’t wait to try this!

• Denise Botkin
    January 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Loved the satin roses, those would be great on head bands or barrettes too!

• Sue
    January 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm

It is hard to choose between the satin and the paper roses, but the satin are my favorite. I think I will actually be making both, but using smaller hearts if I can find them. I was just assigned table decorations last night at our women’s group meeting for a Valentine brunch we will be hosting at church. I think I will take two small ones and place them back to back so they will stand-up and use them as centerpieces. I have to make 12 so I may be doing some searching for more ideas. I don’t think I want to do them all the same, so I’ll be searching through the archives to see what other ideas you two have had!!

January 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Wow…Ok gotta love the sparkle in the sequins!!! I think that is my favorite…however I do love the look of those Satin Roses!!

• Pamela
    January 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I like them all, & another idea for these styrofaom hearts is: cut metalic tissue paper into skinny strips & fold them in loops & glue to cover your heart with this. I do skinny strips because I like the look but you can do wider strips or a bit of both. You can do this @ any holiday just use differrent colors, green for St Patty’s Day Pastels for Easter you get the idea. Please enter me in the draw & thank you

• January 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Daria Muirhead, Debbie O. Debbie O said: RT @theDIYdish Episode 11: Satin, Sequin, and Paper Rose Hearts http://bit.ly/htTZ2f [...]

• Stacy K
    January 25, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I love the paper heart and sequin heart. I’m thinking about having a small group of 11-13 year old girls make the sequin heart.

• Marilyn
    January 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm

The satin one is just elegant. Thanks for the easy to follow instructions

• Pamela
    January 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I tried to sneak a peak @ the “new pattern” & I can’t seam to find it? Any tips on this?

• Sherrie
    January 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I am still waiting for someone to sing. :) Love ya gals! Another great webisode. I think I’ll try the paper roses and step outside my box of fabric.

• January 25, 2011 at 4:51 pm

This is the best tutorial yet! I’m glad you actually demostrated how to curl the satin pedals with the candle. I liked the idea of the paper roses and will be teaching this one to my grandson, so he can make his mom a knock out handmade valentine. Thanks!

• Janie Lenox
    January 25, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Fantastic! Love the satin roses! The paper roses, oh wow! I think my grandkids could do those. I will have to try it the next craft time we have together.

• January 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm

love the satin heart and paper heart!! so cute and easy. how long does it take to burn all the satin circles???

• camie deHollan
    January 25, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Loved all three hearts and the clever way to make them. My favorite is the satin roses, as they seem more romantic.

• Kath
    January 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm

The paper roses are so cute and the tint adds depth. I would only do the satin circles in a well ventilated room wearing a ventilator mask or at an outdoor worktable. Remember folks the fumes are toxic! but the look is adorable and rich.

• January 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Love the vintage look of the paper roses! And it’s something everyone can make easily with any paper they have. Good Job!

• Tiffany
    January 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I have to say I love all three, I think if I was to make one today I would make the satin roses, but if I had all the time and supplies I would do all three.

• January 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm

do you have any idea how to do the rolled rose on a shirt? it is like you use a ribbon and sew in the middle so that it stands up. i have tried and tried to figure this out and can’t, sure would like some help.
    thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Elaine Allen
    January 25, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Hi Kim & Kris -

Love all of these hearts! But I think my favorite is the little pink one covered in sequins, love the sparkle. Speaking of sparkle, another thing to do with these styrofoam hearts is to cover them in craft clue and then cover with glitter. And to cover up missed spots, color your glue the color of your sequins, you can use food coloring or small drop of ink.

Elaine Allen

• Julie
    January 25, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I love Valentine’s Day!! I have many hearts already, but could always use MORE!! Coffee filters make a very ruffley heart. And super inexpensive. You use a lot, (300) or more, but still costs about $3. Maybe you already have wreaths made out of these, just another idea. Your heart would be white, but you could hang it with whatever satin ribbon matched the rest of your valentine decor:) My favorite heart was the satin roses. But they were all three cute!!

• Christina Giordano
    January 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Loved the red satin heart!!

• January 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Can’t wait to try the paper & satin ones. Will wait to make the sequin one with my granddaughter! We will use thimbles on our “pushing finger” though, because pushing in that many sequins can be hard on you. Speaking from experience:)!

• Sandra
    January 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I loved the satin roses & the paper roses the best (how creative!). But I will probably make the sequined one with my granddaughter on our next “craft day.” We’ve already made the flowers that you shape with the flame and had so much fun! Thanks for all your inspiration!

• Courtney B.
    January 25, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Loved this episode!!!!

• thelma
    January 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm

you’ve to tell me……are the two of you related to marie osmond? the resemblance is unbelievable! is she a cousin?…..or your triplet?!

• Vicki J. Wade
    January 25, 2011 at 11:34 pm

My vote is for #1 Silk Rose heart wreath. Love the smoldered edges!

• Dianah Mathis
    January 25, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I can’t pick one. I love love them all. So pretty and cleaver!

• Patty
    January 26, 2011 at 12:26 am

I really like this craft. I think the paper roses are my favorite. I like the hint of pink on them.

• January 26, 2011 at 12:44 am

I love all three projects – but my favorite is the sequin one – how lovely is that!!! Thank you for all your project ideas

• Diane
    January 26, 2011 at 1:21 am

I love all 3 ideas. If I have to pick a fav it would be the paper roses

• TKC
    January 26, 2011 at 2:47 am

Great as always…the paper and satin roses are my favorites! :) Many blessings!

• Nancy
    January 26, 2011 at 3:31 am

You guys are great! I love all the ideas, but I think the satin roses are the best with the paper roses coming in at #2. Thanks for being there!

• May-Lynn
    January 26, 2011 at 4:21 am

Again a great job

• Celeste
    January 26, 2011 at 4:23 am

Love the sequin heart the best… perhaps because I have two young girls. Can’t wait to try this project. Awesome idea for a great tut!!! Thanks so much!

• Kathy Holmes
    January 26, 2011 at 7:58 am

I wonder if newspaper would work for the paper rose project so you wouldn’t have to cut up a book? I’ll have to experiment :)

• Kim
    January 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Satan technique for sure. (it’s so funny that someone has asked the Osmond question again. You should do a movie and play the part of Marie!)

• Janette
    January 26, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I love the paper heart. It looked like a such a fun and cleaver project. I’m going to give it a try.

• Michelle Norris
    January 26, 2011 at 5:17 pm

What cute projects! I like the paper roses!

• Martha Hughes
    January 26, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I love all 3 ideas for the hearts but I especially like the satin heart. Thanks for sharing all of your ideas.

• Donna Cowan
    January 26, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Ohh-I like the satin roses best, but all are great. Think I will try the paper roses when I find the big glue dots. Dj in MO

• January 26, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Thanks for the heartwarming idears!

• January 27, 2011 at 1:21 am

Loved the paper heart…but as I am craft copier only…I need more exact sizes. Your paper heart on the video looks much smaller that the ones on the wreath. What size circles did you cut for the wreath? Are they all the same size, are they stacked?

• PrincessJewel1
    January 27, 2011 at 2:13 am

All three projects are fantastic!! Thanks for another wonderful show!!

• Heidi
    January 27, 2011 at 5:15 am

Very neat! I am partial to the paper ones.

• January 27, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Those roses are beautiful! I love anything that allows me to recycle and DIY at the same time. I’m definately going to use these all around the house and on gifts. Thanks so much for another great show!

• January 27, 2011 at 8:01 pm

You guys are great. You have given me lots of ideas. I have been watching all your videos and loved the one on pin cushions. I have been making a lot to give as gifts. I’m going to put some pictures of them on my blog. Keep up the good work. And thanks for all the ideas.

• Donna
    January 27, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I love all these ideas. I recently covered a styrofoam heart with red yarn and added felt flower embellishments. It looks really good. Where do we get the downloadable instructions for these projects? I can’t seem to find the download button.

• Susan M
    January 28, 2011 at 12:31 am

The red satin is my favorite! Thanks for showing us how.

• Brenda Rowton
    January 30, 2011 at 3:02 am

Red satin is my favorite.

• Haldis
    January 30, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Hi Kris and Kim! :)
    I love your ideas, but can only watch the older episodes…. :(
    the new episodes (youtube movies) is stopping all the time and is anoying .. :(
    I really hope you guys could maybe download your new episodes into another moviefile? .. :)
    Like a map or something that us who cant watch your new episodes? :D
    I wish you good luck and the best for valentines day! :)
    Hugs, Haldis from Norway :)

• Marilyn
    February 1, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I have trouble with the streaming of the videos, also. But, what I do is let it load, walk away and then come back in a little bit, click play and the video plays smoothly without any stops. Then, life is good, and I get to watch my crafty gals.
    Marilyn
    Kansas

• admin
    February 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Hooray Marilyn! We’re so glad you’re able to watch! Thanks for keeping us posted on that.

• Mary Sue
    February 2, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I loved the satin roses first and then the paper ones. I’m going to try them both. I already have a frame ready to paint. It was only $2 at a sidewalk sale last summer.

• February 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I’m all for the paper roses! *surprise* I’ll probably be taking that one on.

I can’t believe I hadn’t subscribed to your YT channel before. Yes… I’m slow.
    Love your videos—you two are naturals!

• February 5, 2011 at 10:03 am

Great projects, thanks for sharing again : ) My favourites were the satin roses and the paper roses. They both look great.

Arabella

• February 14, 2011 at 6:42 am

[...] for the luncheon, right? So we brought out the placemats created in Episode 10, decorated with the Valentine hearts made in Episode 11, ordered take-out (who has time to cook!?!), and we had a party. Some quilted. [...]

• Carol McNab
    February 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I think I like the one cut from the book page. A nice new idea for me to work with. This is the one that I will most likely do of the 3. Looked interesting to make.

• February 22, 2011 at 10:11 am

[...] some funky flowers. I cut the shirt into different sized circles then melted the edges on a candle (melted fabric flower petal tutorial here if you need one) but instead of just stacking the different sized petals, I folded and stacked them to make a [...]

• September 2, 2012 at 9:59 am

I love love love this

• February 17, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I was just watching this on PBS today. They talked about the same things you wrote about.

Stop by my webpage – TV On My Computer; Charolette,