Day 2: Learn the Technique of Paper Quilling!

December 2nd, 2010

If you’re looking to pick up a new little hobby that is extremely inexpensive and a whole lot of fun, then look no further than investigating into the art of paper quilling!

Although quilling has been around for literally ages, this technique is seeing a resurgence in the world of paper crafting.

So for our 2nd day of the Holiday DIY Dish, we wanted to share with you how this technique is done as well as show you a few different ideas for seasonal cards!

Now wasn’t that fun? ;)

And we’d love to hear from YOU!

If you have ever tried quilling before, what have you made? Also, we’re sure many out there are paper crafting away right now- whether it be holiday cards, scrapbooking, table settings, and more, we want to see what you’re making! If you have a blog, you can even let us know that so we can come by and check it out!

• Sharon K
    December 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm

So simple, but so pretty. I think I’m going to try this. Just what I need, another craft to do. LOL

• December 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I’ve been wanting to try this with my kids for several years but haven’t quite gotten around to it. I really like the card with the tree on it.

• December 5, 2010 at 4:01 am

I haven’t made any projects like the one’s above, but I do use my quilling tool on scrapbook paper strips to make adorable Christmas Ornaments. Right now, I have about 30 zip-lock bags full of multi-colored, quilled papers! Here is my blog post from last year on how I make them.

• pat
    December 7, 2010 at 11:23 am

Wow, quilling!!! I haven’t done that in years. I used to teach quilling in a local craft store many, many years ago. You just gave me some ideas for other holidays. Thanks for recalling an old craft of mine.

• Ricki Duke
    December 7, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I have the stuff to do this I just need to do it now. You make it look really simple…. Thanks

• Judy
    December 7, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Quilling originated in the 14th century, so it is a very old craft/art. If you use the proper paper (made especially for quilling) you will not receive ANY paper cuts, because the paper is made in such a way as to have rounded edges on the outside. The paper you get in the craft stores is NOT that type, and it makes a huge difference when you try both types of paper. There is no end to the things you can do with this technique, including making 3-D buildings, and even wearable art like hats and vests, etc.

• December 7, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Looks like fun and lots of possibilities. Will be trying this soon!

• Barb of California
    December 7, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for the lesson on twilling. I have always wanted to do this but never knew how. Great ides.
    Love your show.