Day 1: How to Make a Pomegranate Salad

December 1st, 2010

We’re excited to kick off our season of holiday quick clips with introducing you to a festive dish that has been handed down in our family for generations.

Our very own grandmother each year made this and so in her honor, we would like to share it with all of you!

It’s quick and so very easy to make! Have you ever tried your hand at seeding a pomegranate? It’s actually a lot easier than you may think, and we’ll show you how!

And we’d love to hear from YOU!

We know you have some “tried-and-true” recipes that have become a tradition in YOUR families! Please share! We’d love to read your favorites! Post below and let us know. We’re sure we will all be inspired! We think this is the best time of year to keep with family traditions as well as trying something new!

Tags: , ,

• Diane O'Brien
    December 2, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Hi Girls!
    Great holiday recipe. I’m excited to try it this Christmas, beautiful :)

• Monica
    December 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Very interesting recipe! =)

• Kelley
    December 2, 2010 at 6:11 pm

This sounds sooo yummy, and I’ve never cooked with pomegranates, so I’ll be sure to try it! :D

• Tammy
    December 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Sounds delicious..I love pomegranates and their juice…Can’t wait to try it out…Thanks for sharing your recipe.

• Itashka
    December 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm

<3 This recipe. One of our traditions is Deviled eggs that my Mom makes. My family loves them. Can't wait until tomorrow.

• December 2, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I made a wonderful recipe from Chef Chloe` … roasted brussell sprouts with olive oil, maple syrup and hazel nuts. Made it for Thanksgiving and it’s now one of our holiday dinner favorites! we are Vegan and sometimes it’s hard to find good recipes. She’s got lots!

• December 2, 2010 at 6:55 pm

This recipe has been in my family for years. My great-grandmother made them, my grandmother, my mother and now I make them. We make these cookies without fail every year. These are great with coffee, tea, hot chocolate or eggnog. They will remind you of a soft biscotti. And they look really pretty on a cookie tray or by themselves.

Fruit Slices
    3 cups flour 3 Heaping tablespoons solid shortening (we use Crisco)
    3 teaspoons baking powder 4 Eggs
    1 cup sugar 3/4 cup each of chopped walnuts, chopped dates, chopped
    1 teasoon good vanilla red marischino cherries

Cut the shortening into the flour with a pastry blender until well incorporated. Add the sugar and mix well. Add the baking powder and the nuts, mix well. Beat 3 eggs in a separate bowl and add to mixture, then add the fruits and mix together. Moisten your hands with some cooking oil and shape the mixture into 4 loaves of equal size. Place on either a greased cookie sheets or parchment lined cookie sheets at least 4 inches apart. They will spread out. Beat the remaining egg and brush each loaf with egg. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on racks until completely cooled and NO HEAT remains anywhere in the loaves. Slice on the diagional with a serated knife or a VERY sharp knife. Store in an airtight container. These will keep for about a week to 10 days in the container…..if you can keep them that long!

• December 2, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I have so many holiday recipes that I love. It’s hard to choose one! This cookie recipe s a recent favorite in the family: http://bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Bejeweled-Mascarpone-Cookies/11988/

• Elizabeth Keller
    December 2, 2010 at 7:06 pm

This looks awesome, can’t wait to try it;o)

• December 2, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I never knew you could actually eat the seeds. Something new for me. Thanks.

• December 2, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Time saver: some stores actually sell just the pomegranate seeds now. I know Trader Joe’s is one of them.

• Karin
    December 2, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I have a pomegranate tree. I’ve been looking for recipes. thanks!

• Debi
    December 2, 2010 at 8:24 pm

This made me think of a recipe that I use frequently. This is the easiest thing in the world to make. It’s beautiful and it’s delicious. Make it at least 8 hours before you will be serving it.

1 bag of slaw (you don’t want to use the dressing that comes with some of the bags – just the shredded veggies)
    1 bottle Brianna’s Poppy Seed Dressing (or any other good brand)
    1 cup of chopped walnuts
    1 cup of Craisins (dried cranberries)

Mix all 4 of the ingredients together. Cover and put in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours so all of the flavors can blend well.

Serve and enjoy!!!! The cranberries make it a very festive-looking dish. Everyone will ask you for this recipe. Have it ready!!! I always double this recipe – even when it’s just for me and my hubby! It’s that good….

• December 3, 2010 at 1:25 am

Hot Cinnamon Milk tastes like eggnog, but without the eggs and tons fewer calories! YUM! http://diaryofacraftaholic.blogspot.com/2010/12/hot-cinnamon-milk-mix-recipe.html

• Jenny Bieniek
    December 3, 2010 at 1:36 am

Ever since I was very young, my grandma made Scalloped Cabbage!!! It is delicious. You chop a large head of cabbage into about 1-2 inch squares. Drain well, pour into a well greased casserole dish. In a saucepan make the whitesauce recipe on the cornstarch box (Combine 1 tbsp. butter, 1 tblsp. cornstarch and one cup of milk until it boils) reduce heat and add velveeta or cheese slices. Heat until melted. Pour over top of cabbage, crumble ritz crackers on top and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Enjoy.

• December 3, 2010 at 2:34 am

I’m probably the only one, but I find de-seeding pomegranates oddly therapeutic… Anyway, will have to try this salad! I make one with bacon and pom arils that’s to-die for but am always looking for new ways to use one of my fave fruits ;)

• Diane O'Brien
    December 3, 2010 at 3:22 pm

This recipe has to be made at all our Holidays. Quick and easy broccoli, I’m telling ya, it’s the best!

2 packages frozen broccoli spears or you can use fresh (I love using crowns)
    1 Cup Mayo
    1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1 Cup grated cheddar

Steam broccoli and put in casserole dish. Mix up remaining ingredients, pour over broccoli. Cover and bake for 45 minutes in 350 oven.

• December 3, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Chocolate-Dipped Cranberries
    *all amounts are approximate as I usually just follow my nose :)

1 bag fresh whole cranberries, washed & thoroughly dry
    1 pkg. white almond bark, melted

Dip only a few cranberries at a time in the almond bark (too many will cause it to get clumpy). Remove to waxed paper to dry. Pop in your mouth to enjoy the sweet/sour combination that is quickly addicting!

• December 3, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Here’s my fav party recipe … its got a little kick to it (here in South Louisiana, we like it that way), so if you’re not a fan if spicy stuff, cut back on the cayenne pepper a bit :) It is so incredibly yummy and everyone will be asking you for the recipe!

CHERRY CORDIAL CHEESE BALL DELIGHT
    3 cups shredded colby cheese
    1 cup craisins
    1 cup mayo
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 cup toasted chopped pecans (single layer @ 350, 1 to 2 minutes)
    1 jar Bonne Mamain preserves (black cherry or strawberry) (any good quality brand will do, but this is the best)

Mix everything together except the preserves.

Place mixture on saran wrap, wrap it up and form it into a ball.
    Refrigerate overnight.
    Pour preserves on top when ready to serve. Serve w/Wheat Thins.

• admin
    December 4, 2010 at 3:27 am

These all look so good! I’m not sure which one to try first! Making my grocery list now…

Kim :)
    The DIY Dish

• December 4, 2010 at 1:51 pm

If my older children are here for the holidays this is a Must-have recipe! The younger girl won’t eat Jello.
    CONVERSATION SALAD

• December 4, 2010 at 1:52 pm

OOPS! Try again!

• December 4, 2010 at 2:01 pm

CONVERSATION SALAD
    1/2 cup red hot candies
    2 cups hot water
    1 large package raspbery gelatin
    1 cup ice water
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    2 cups applesauce
    1/2 cup chopped nuts
    1 large package cream cheese
    2 Tablespoons mayonnaise

Dissolve candies in hot water while it is coming to a boil. Dissolve gelatin in hot cinnamon water. Add ice water, lemon juice, and applesauce. Mix thoroughly. Coll untill slightly thickened Add nuts. Mix cream cheese and mayonnaise thoroughly, and swirl cheese mixture through gelatin. Pour into large bowl and chill. Serves 10-12.

This is very pretty so I’ve always used one of my crystal bowls to show it off. My children are so tradition-oriented that it MUST be in that particular bowl!

• December 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm

so yummy! I just tried it with low fat vanilla yogurt for a snack! YUM! I’m sure it’s like 10 times better with whipped cream, but a girl’s gotta watch her figure ya know!

• terrywebb
    December 6, 2010 at 3:04 pm

My mom(now 88) grew up in northern Montana and just before Thanksgiving they would receive a box from an aunt in California -with pomegranates(she had a tree in her yard). Needless to say, they couldn’t buy ANY kind of fruit at the store that time of year, so they were really cherished. They made a green gelatin salad with pomegranate seeds in it. It became a tradition – all of her children and many of her grandchildren still make this for Thanksgiving (the red and green get us in the Christmas spirit!) and Christmas. Not fancy, but the kids are able to do this one -in fact, the seeding of the pomegranates is part of the tradition! BTW, my parents are getting ready to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary later this month.

• December 7, 2010 at 3:02 pm

We too love pomegranate salad – a tradition since moving to Mesquite! I loved seeing the time-saving way you got the pomegranates out, always the hardest part of it, and the idea of sprinkling some on top! Thanks for sharing it! I knew your dear grandma, and so glad you could honor her with this.

• Rona Bonn
    December 10, 2010 at 5:40 am

I made this for my Ladies Golf group today. A BIG hit. Thank you!