Episode 9: Freezer Paper Stenciling and How to Make Envelope Pillows

November 16th, 2010

Welcome to Episode 9 of The DIY Dish!  This week we’re going to show you how to make a quick and easy gift idea that will “keep on giving” throughout the entire year! Plus, you can use the method of freezer paper stenciling on just about anything — so fun and economical, too!  Take a look!

Thank you to this week’s sponsor, Fabric.com, for making this episode possible. The DIY Dish Viewers can save 25% in their Holiday Headquarters Section of their website using the code: DIYHOLIDAY The code expires 11/30/2010 Midnight EST so if you’re looking for some extra savings this time of year, be sure to check them out.  Fabric.com carries the pillows, fabric, and even the paint we used in this week’s episode!

Download our FREE PDF file here.  It includes the measurements for the pillows in the show, as well as all the font we used for our monograms.

Here are some additional photos of this week’s project!

Want to see everything that is included in the Holiday Headquarters section of Fabric.com?

Don’t forget to download your free pdf to find out all the measurments, pillow sizes, materials needed, and font.  We also included a “word” that we’d love for you to try out . It fits for the entire year.  Come back at the end of the week for our 2nd helping blog post and we’ll show you what we did with it for Christmas.

By the way, Fabric.com also carries burlap and “duck cloth” (we love both!) in all kinds of COLORS!  So think beyond just the normal burlap  or duck cloth you see — beautiful reds, greens, and more are over there, too!

We’d love to hear from you! Have you ever tried freezer paper stenciling? What did you make? Would you like to try envelope pillows?  What kind of pillow gift sets would you like to make and for who?   Click on “post a comment” below and let us know.

Have a wonderful week!

• November 17, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I can’t wait to try this! Thanks for the great tutorial. This beats putting in a zipper!

• Itashka
    November 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I can’t wait to try this. What a great and easy gift to make. It would be a great wedding gift for a new couple. You guys are great.

• Joanne
    November 17, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I love the idea of making different seasons and holidays covers and give them as a bundle gift. FABULOUS idea !!!! Now,,,,, what fabrics to choose!**! LOL
    Joanne

• Taiwo O.
    November 18, 2010 at 1:26 am

Love it! Fast and easy to make. Will try making a set for my sis and bf :)

• Line
    November 18, 2010 at 11:26 am

Hi Kris & Kim,
    Thanks for the very clear tutorial!
    A question, though: is there any particular reason for choosing duck cloth or burlap to stencil on? Is it more difficult, for instance, on other types of fabric?
    Have a great day!

• Dee
    November 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Nice video, thanks for the tutorial. You can personalize a lot of things with custom stencils that make great gifts for the holidays!

• Taylor
    November 18, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Love this!

• Kelly Sas
    November 18, 2010 at 5:48 pm

What a great super easy way to make a chic in style pillow! I haven’t used freezer paper for stencils, but I have used it for quilting. They shiny side is great like you said because it sticks onto fabric when ironed on. I use it for cutting out a shape that I want to applique onto my quilts. Thanks for another great video tutorial!

• susann zanwood
    November 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Hi Kim & Kris, Oh my goodness, I can’t believe your show today. I’ve recently had bought three-26×26 uro pillows to go on the bed and I’ve been having trouble finding shams that I like. You just made it so easy for me to design them myself. Thanks so much and keep the ideas comming! Susan NJ

• November 19, 2010 at 1:32 am

KimNovember 16, 2010 at 6:46 am#2

Hi Nisha! First of all – so happy to hear you’re from Australia!! Very cool.

OK, to answer your question — freezer paper is found in a grocery store next to things like plastic sandwich bags, tin foil, parchment paper, etc. It has a plastic-coating on one side and the other side is paper. Traditionally it has been used to wrap foods in to freeze, but it is also often used in stencil crafts like this because that plastic coating will adhere to your fabric temporarily with a warm iron pressed to it. (And it doesn’t leave any residue.)

I hope that helps! And I hope they have it in Australia! The brand we used was Reynolds Freezer Paper.

-Kim
    The DIY Dish

Thanks for that Kim, looks like I will have to get it over the internet, its not available in the supermarket .. will be a great project to try :)

• November 19, 2010 at 5:39 am

[…] Episode 9: Freezer Paper Stenciling and How to Make Envelope Pillows […]

• Joan Brown
    November 19, 2010 at 11:50 am

I showed my daughter how to make a freezer paper stencil. She made a t shirt with New Kids on The Block on it to go to a concert last summer.

• November 19, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Hey- I know you girls! I remember you at Ricks and in a Science class at USU. Congratulations on your awesome website! I’ll have to feature you on my website- Savvy Sister Shops!

You’re both so creative- so fun!

• Kathy kauth
    November 20, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Another great show and what a neat idea to make a pillow cover to change with the seasons, really enjoyed this one.

• thelma
    November 22, 2010 at 3:01 pm

love the envelope pillow! can’t wait to make a set for some cousins who just moved into a new home.

i will definitely go the path of a set of pillow covers for different seasons.

thanks for the idea and tutorial!

• November 23, 2010 at 7:37 am

You could cut your letters out with the cricut machine to eliminat the tracing and cutting.Great project though!

• November 23, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Love it!! Thank you for making the envelope style & measurement’s less scary!!!

• December 1, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I love the stenciled pillows! I am going to make them for my best friends for Christmas. I plan to use our favorite colors and houndstooth in black and white for the coordinating colors!

• December 1, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Thanks so much for the episode on envelope pillows. I had just decided to make some for the pillow forms on my couch but didn’t have a clue how to do it. I also just bought some lovely fabric from fabric.com. Now I am eagerly awaiting its arrival so I can update my pillows before Christmas! :)

• December 2, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I’ve been practicing this technique for a Christmas gift I’m making and am having a really hard time getting my paint to coat smoothly. A foam brush didn’t work very well so I tried a regular paintbrush (it’s pretty large as it was for painting a crib), and it’s better but not perfect. Would using that for two coats do the trick?

• December 4, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Thanks for a lovely idea girls! I so enjoy your episodes.

Nisha, like you say Freezer paper is not sold in grocery stores in Australia or NZ, but quite a few quilt shops carry it, as do some online Australian fabric shops. eg (http://www.ozquilts.com.au/, and http://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/ etc…)

Arabella

• December 15, 2010 at 3:53 pm

too too fun!! Great tutorial – thanks!

• December 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Wonderful pictures! I love how colorful the pillows are. This is a great business for people having a hard time looking for jobs.

• Kathryn Tienter
    January 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I used this pattern to make memory pillows out of my mother’s clothing for all her children and grandchildren. Since I have an embroidery machine, I substituted the stencil for an embroidered initial of their initial. I would submit a picture, but I’m not sure how to get it on your web site. Everyone loved their pillow and my daughter wants me to go in business making the memory pillows, but I like sewing for fun, not business. To me that would take all the “fun” out of my sewing. Thank you so much for sharing this idea and pattern with us. I love watching your videos and seeing everything you create. Thank you again!

• Amy Ehlers
    May 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I’m wondering where you got the image of the bird/twig? I am looking for something similar to use for my home.

Thanks,

Amy

• May 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm

[…] regardless of the materials you’re working with – find image, trace onto plastic sheet, freezer paper, adhesive foil, etc, then cut out, adhere to surface, paint, dry, rock out. There are a few tricks […]

• Pam
    September 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Love this idea. Is the download for the pillows still available? I get nothing but a black screen. Just found your webisode and want to make these pillows; they are awesome! Thanks

• October 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

The Link for letters doesn’t work

• March 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Home remedies are relatively less costly along with cost-effective as compared to additional solutions to help remedy hypothyroidism. Below are a few of the home treatments that may be extremely effective for …repair

• January 5, 2013 at 8:11 am

Hi :)

I have just come across your videos on youtube and love all the things you make and your tutorials, love your bubbly personalities too :) nice to meet you both :)
    This is a great tutorial…. I live in Australia and for some reason Freezer paper isnt in our supermarkets it should be for sure as it is a great product….so I had to hunt around for it…
    eventually found it…and for all those other people that live in Australia and can’t find Freezer paper I am very happy to pass this on to where you can purchase it…. Spotlight sell it … hope this helps :)

sure wish our supermarkets would sell it but they only sell the foil baking paper greaseproof paper and cling wrap….oh well can hope LOL!!!….

Happy stencilling everyone…. and thank you for all your great tutorials Kris and Kim :)

Magz :)

• January 5, 2013 at 8:22 am

PDF link download for pillow cases measurements fonts etc….unfortunately doesn’t work….I just got a blank screen…would really love to have this info….

thanks,
    Magz :)

• Smithb722
    April 5, 2014 at 7:28 am

Excellently written writeup, doubts all bloggers offered the same content material because you, the internet is actually a greater location. Please maintain it up! bdefeabadk

• April 10, 2014 at 8:20 pm

avail yourself to community college with misinformation to understand of it or to avail yourself into a?
    great schooling?