Episode 7: How to Needle Felt – Find the JOY in Needle Felting

November 2nd, 2010

We are so excited to share with you a technique that is both timeless and beautiful – the art of needle felting! Want to try your hand at it? We’re going to show you a very easy project you can make this weekend!  Take a look!

We want to thank our sponsor for this episode, Fabric.com. There you will find all of the needle felting supplies you’ll need for this project — plus gorgeous fabrics, notions, and even more to get you going this crafty holiday season!

Keep reading because at the bottom of this post, we’ll give you a coupon code, as well as the link to the FREE PDF download for this project! For now, here are some more photos of the project, as well as some additional ideas for what you can do with needle felting!

• Here is what we used from Fabric.com to create the JOY Pillow:
  • Wool Roving: Any color green and any color red
  • Needle Felting Foam (Item #NR-569)
  • Felting Needle Tool (Item #NR-562)
  • Felting Needle Tool (Item #NR-566)
  • Warm & Natural Cotton Batting (Item #CBR-002) *Or you can use fleece or wool that Fabric.com also carries — anything that doesn’t fray.
  • Embroidery Floss (Item #NR-777)

Ready for a coupon code? Fabric.com is giving DIY Dish Viewers 25% off ANY item in their Wool Felting Notions & Roving (AND CRAFTS!)  Section! Use code: DISHFELTING to receive 25% off of those items. Coupon code expires 11/30/10 (Midnight EST) *Note: The code excludes die-cut machines and accessories.

Download your FREE PDF “JOY” pattern here.

We’d love to hear from you! Have you ever tried needle felting? Is this something you’d like to give a try?  What would you like to make with the art of needle felting? Do you have any more questions for us on how to needle felt? Post a comment below and we’ll try our best to answer in this week’s 2nd helping blog post!

And remember, if you enjoyed learning something new this week, simply hit the “like” button for Facebook and the “tweet” button for Twitter! Buttons are found at the top of the post.

Have a wonderful week!

• Juanita
    November 2, 2010 at 10:47 am

As usual, the word I associate most with you, Kim and Kris, is AMAZING. I love the look of needle felting but just didn’t “get” the method until your blog. You have made it wonderfully simple fun from the get-it-done-so-I-can-show-it-off perspective rather than the artistic perfection perspective I saw on a TV craft show. Don’t get me wrong, now, yours looks just as good. It also looks easier and more fun since you didn’t use the single needle with painstaking slowness that had previously made me say “no way do I have the patience for that!”.

And I too want to thank Fabric.com for sponsoring the segment so you girls can feed our internal insatiable craft monster.

• Pat
    November 2, 2010 at 10:52 am

Thank you ladies for another great idea.

• November 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

Thanks Kris and Kim for yet another inspiring episode! I’ve always wanted to learn to needle felt…you made it look very easy!

• November 2, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Thank you so much for such a great gift idea for this holiday season! I’ve always been intrigued by felting but didn’t have any idea where to begin. Now I know! Thanks!

• Linda
    November 2, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I love this project. I already have a felted sweater ready to go. Can’t wait to get started. I have been ordering from Fabric.com for years and they are just GREAT.

• November 2, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Well, you have inspired me to try needle felting again! Thank you both for your creative ideas! Hugs, Joyce

• Jaye
    November 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Looks like so much fun! Thanks!

• Ricki Duke
    November 2, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I have the tools and the roving already on hand just haven’t tried it yet. But I think I will now. You show it to be SO easy. Thanks…

• November 2, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I have been wanting to try needle felting. You made it look fun and easy. Can’t wait to try it. Might be this years Christmas gifts.

• Vicky
    November 2, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Love the show. I’ve never tried needle felting, but looks so fun. Also I’ve used Fabric.com for years. The service and prices are wonderful.

November 2, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Loved this week!! Fun fun fun…I do have needle felting tools…and a machine needle felter embellish-er as well….Just might have to break it all out…THAT pillow was Fabulous….it is total instant gratification!

Thanks you too!! for all you do!!

• November 2, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Thanks a bunch for this tutorial! I don’t know that I’ll be doing this right now. But I never knew how to do it before. So if I ever decide I want to try it, I’ll know how.
    Thanks again girls!

• Mary Ellen
    November 2, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I began felting last summer but then lost steam. Thanks for a push back to it. I love the balls of felt and I’d love to see them strung together for a necklace of sorts. Cheers.

• November 2, 2010 at 4:44 pm

You’re making this craft-impaired girl feel like maybe she can make something! :) thank you!

• Nancy
    November 2, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I have been wondering about needle felting. My sister have been doing it for a while, but your demonstration was very instructive. I would like to send this episode to my sister. Is there an easy way to do that?

• admin
    November 2, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Hi Nancy,
    We love that you’d want to send this episode to your sister! All you have to do is copy and past this link:

Thank you!
    Kim and Kris

• Marietta
    November 2, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Paid a fortune for some of those felt balls online. Thanks for showing us
    how to make our own so easily! Didn’t quite understand what keeps that
    white roving in the blue circle of wool. Perhaps the download will help.

• Lou
    November 2, 2010 at 7:56 pm

This looks like a great first needle punch project!

• November 2, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I’m SOOOO glad you guys tackled felting. I’ve heard people talking about it, read things online and seen photos of things made, but never learned how to do it. Thanks for the demo.

• November 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm

As always, another wonderful uplifting craft! You both really do rock! ;)

• Enis
    November 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Not only is needle felting a fun and easy craft, but oh it makes items that are so cozy! Nothing like the feeling of homey, cozy crafts. Thanks for the great demo.

• Jacki
    November 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm

This is one of my favorite crafts so far!!!! Thanks for helping me decide what gifts I will give this year for Christmas :) My shopping cart is FULL on Fabric.com. You are awesome!!

• Ginger
    November 3, 2010 at 1:06 am

Thanks for this episode. I’ve always wondered how to needle felt.

• November 3, 2010 at 4:15 am

What a fabulous project to kick off the Christmas season- I love the idea of cozying up to this pillow!

• Kathryn Rife
    November 3, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Thank you for taking yet another craft and showing us the steps on how to actually do it. You take the mystery out of things that look difficult and show us how easy and fun it can be. Kudos to you both.

• Rozanne Nicholes
    November 3, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Thanks for another fun project. Can’t wait to try it.

• Karen
    November 4, 2010 at 12:16 am

I have done it by machine but use silk and put it on denim.

• Kathy
    November 4, 2010 at 2:01 am

Lovely show Girls! I can picture stockings being made that way. Very Inspiring.

• November 4, 2010 at 1:10 pm

[...] been fun to read from Episode 7 about how many of you have always wanted to learn and now are excited to give it a try! And some [...]

• Priscilla
    November 4, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I have always wondered about needle felting. Thanks for the great demo! You are the best!

• November 6, 2010 at 11:35 am

[...] I have always been fascinated with needle felting.  Just do a search on Etsy for needle felt and you will find an amazing array of  needle felt art, animals, accessories and much more.  Kim and Kris the hosts of the  DIY Dish a few needle felting techniques in an easy to understand and fun way.  Check out Episode 7: How to Needle Felt – Find the JOY in Needle Felting. [...]

• Amy Bohner
    November 7, 2010 at 1:42 am

Looks like I’ll be adding a few felting items on my Christmas list this year. Can’t wait to try it! You girls always make me smile.

• May-Lynn
    November 7, 2010 at 2:57 am

Thank you for showing me how to do felting. I’m going to give it a try

• Nancie Feld
    November 7, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I’ve never attempted felting before. I’m learning so much at The DIY Dish! I just love it. Thank you for making it simple to be creative!

• November 10, 2010 at 1:38 am

Have done needle felting with my mom before she got sick. She makes/made mohair dogs and bears. The paws were all needle felted along with making our own clay noses and eyes. Needle felting is fun and I am in the process of teaching my daughter how to needle felt also.

• CARLA SMITH
    November 10, 2010 at 7:10 am

Cant wait to get started on felting.I was afraid to try it so after seeing how easy it is I am ready to start a new craft.thanks again for sharing

• December 4, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this! I have wanted to learn how to do needle felting for ages! You girls make it look so easy… thanks!

Arabella