Frayed Applique Tutorial

October 20th, 2010

Now to answer a question that has been coming in this week! Many of you had asked about the flowers that were embellished on our basic bag shown in the picture below.

Well it’s a technique that is very simple to master as well as quick, easy, and a beatiful addition to just about any project! We’ve added them to clothing, handbags, tea towels and more! It’s a technique which Kris shared recently on Studio 5.

Here are 2 examples of what we made!

We thought we’d put together a brief step-by-step tutorial on how to make this fun embellishment! Let’s get started!

1. Begin by tearing an approximate 1/2″ strip of fabric. For larger flowers, continue to tear several strips.

2. Place one end of the fabric strip onto the base project you will be sewing the flower onto. Sew a straight stitch directly down the center of the fabric strip. Sew for a brief time before it’s time to “turn” your fabric strip to begin forming a flower.

3. Continue sewing in this same manner. It is helpful to keep your needle in the down position as you stop to turn the project in order to continue sewing down the center of the fabric strip without losing your place.

4. Keep on going! Round and round… until you reach the very end of the strip. If you’d like the flower to be larger, simply add an addition torn strip of fabric and repeat the same steps as outlined above.

And now you’re finished! BEAUTIFUL! Can you imagine the possibilities?

You can leave the flower alone, or even add a pretty button for a nice finishing touch! Have fun with fabric colors as well and mix and match! There really is no wrong way to do it. If you give it a try, we’d love to see your photos!

Tags: , ,

• Renee
    October 20, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I have been trying to figure out how to do these for the 2 basic bags I have already made and the many more I plan to make!!! They make great gifts!!!

• Tammie
    October 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Thank you for putting this tutorial on your website. I have been wondering how you made those flowers and considered making yoyo’s for the bags. I have made two of the bags and will be making one more.
    I think I will try this idea with some old denim jeans and make one more bag. I always enjoy your creative ideas. I have made several of them along with my daughter. So much fun!

• Rachel
    October 20, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I’m a little confused. Do you sew in circles or straight lines? How far is a brief time? Thanks for sharing this with us. I’m a beginner seamstress and need a few more instructions than others to figure things out.

• elizabeth reisner
    October 20, 2010 at 6:49 pm

just one question. Start outside of flower and work inwards, or vice versa?

• admin
    October 21, 2010 at 12:01 am

Hi Rachel! You will be sewing a straight line down the center of the fabric strip, however you will be turning/rotating the project as you sew, so that the strip goes around and around to form the flower. Elizabeth, you will want to begin at the center of the flower and work outwards. Those are some great questions! If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know! -Kim and Kris

• August 23, 2012 at 12:08 am