Episode 6: Pom Pom Garland (Plus, We’ve Been Keeping a Secret…)

October 19th, 2010

Welcome to Episode 6 of “The DIY Dish!”  While this decorative garland was made for Halloween, the same technique can be used for ANY occasion!  Take a look!

Here are some more photos from this week’s project!

We’d love to see what you are making! Don’t forget to post your photos to our Facebook Fan Page or to Flickr. :)   If you’d like more garland/bunting ideas for your home decor, you might be interested in our latest ePattern called “Adorn.”  It is now available for instant download at www.YouCanMakeThis.com.

We have some really fun and exciting news to share with you!

Imagine our reaction a little while ago when getting off a phone call with a producer of The Nate Berkus Show!  We can’t quite spill all the details yet, but we can tell you that we will be on his show NEXT Wednesday, October 27th!!

Are we nervous? YES! Are we excited? YES! Do we wonder if we’ll look completely goofy? ABSOLUTELY!  The nice thing at this point is that it has already been taped and now we just wait for the 27th! Yikes!

If you are unfamiliar with Nate Berkus, well, let us just tell ya…He is one amazing designer! So much, that he was THE interior design guru on the Oprah Show for 8 years! He has such a good heart and is just like you would imagine him to be in person – very real and down-to-earth.  We’ll tell you more next week.

Nate Berkus now has his own show and it is full of inspiration!  You will love it!

We would be so happy to have you be a part of our experience next week!  Click here to check your local listings and to find out what time of the day and which channel it comes on.  Of course, we’re not sure how it will all be pulled together in the end, but you will see a glimpse into our personal lives, a “challenge” Nate gave us, and then finally a segment in New York!  It was our first time being in NY and we LOVED it!

Have a wonderful week everyone!  Which state or country might you be watching The Nate Show from?

• Karen Pelletier
    October 19, 2010 at 10:32 am

Hooray for you! How exciting! I will be watching from Massachusetts next Wednesday.
    Isn’t New York great? I have been there a couple of times and would love to go again, especially to the fabric stores there. Looking forward to the show.

• October 19, 2010 at 10:48 am

OMG–how super exciting for you and All of us! I will be glued to the tube here in Texas! Yippee! Yahoo! Yippy-Skip!

• Lisa
    October 19, 2010 at 10:57 am

Congrats Ladies! I am so excited for you!!!
    I will be watching from South Georgia on Wednesday, as usual, cause I just love the Nate Berkus Show. He seems like such a genuinely nice guy. Lived in Syracuse for a couple of years, but never made it to NYC…..well, maybe one day!! ;-) Glad you had a great time, but also glad you had a safe travel. Thanks for your inspiration!

• October 19, 2010 at 11:04 am

I remember making these when I was little. Thanks for the tip about the string.

• Phyllis
    October 19, 2010 at 11:36 am

How exciting…..I will be watching from New York!! I can’t wait to see the show with you girls. Thanks for the lasted DIY episode.

• October 19, 2010 at 11:41 am

Super! congratulations on the guest appearance. I’ll try to watch.

• Donna H
    October 19, 2010 at 11:43 am

This is soooo exiciting! Can hardly wait to veiw the show.

• Chris
    October 19, 2010 at 11:45 am

Hi! The garland was so cute! Will be checking out Nate’s show from the Montgomery, Al. station. Keep up the great shows. Chris

• Donna
    October 19, 2010 at 11:55 am

I’m going to watch you Gals all the way from the UK!!!!
    You go girls;o)

• Itashka W
    October 19, 2010 at 12:07 pm

The garland is so cute!! Can’t wait to make this project. Can’t wait you see you on Nate’s show. Will be watching in North Carolina!! *hugs*

• Julie Barkley
    October 19, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I love this it reminds me of the carnations I used to make when i was little out of tissues and tissue paper! Thanks so much!

• Judy Chaffee
    October 19, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Most sincere congratulations to you two!!! Well done! I’ll be watching from Chicago Land!

• October 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Wow! How wonderful. I’ll be watching from Ohio!

• October 19, 2010 at 12:26 pm

great garland, great idea, just in time for a 1st birhtday garland and a baby shoer I have the 1st part of Nov! I made 2 of the bags from your last show last sunday, one in xmas fabrics and one in left overs of a baby quilt for the new mom to use as a diaper bag which will also double as a gift bag for the baby shower. So easy and fun to make!

• Ricki Duke
    October 19, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Very cute idea. Have fun on Nate’s show. Be sure to post it on your site so we all can see you.

• October 19, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I will be watching from Grande Prairie, Alberta. I love Nates new show.

• Shonda Hill
    October 19, 2010 at 1:09 pm

You girls are doing such a great job with all your creativity, I look forward to each episode!! I love the Nate show, I’ll be cheering you on from Huntsville, AL!!

• October 19, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Wonderful! I love Nate’s how. How exciting!

• October 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm

OMGosh!! I’ll have to try and figure out how to watch you from Toronto, On, Canada! You gals rock and I can’t wait to see what you’re going to do next!

• May-Lynn
    October 19, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Very cute and easy

• Nancie
    October 19, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I almost feel ashamed because I don’t know who Nate Berkus is. I live in Texas. I’ll make sure I find out. Congratulations! I love the garland. What fun!

• Janet
    October 19, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Unfortunately Nate’s show is not available in my TV viewing area in Richmond, VA. I’ll check out webdxt.com to see if I can watch it there! I’m going camping halloween weekend and will be making the garland to decorate our campsite!

• October 19, 2010 at 2:38 pm

congrats girls!!!!!!!!! that’s awesome!! I will have to watch next week if i’m not at work!!!!

you girls rock!!!

• Jody
    October 19, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Wow! Congratulations…..Nate Berkus Show! I will be watching from South Louisiana! Thank you for the pom pom garland idea, great for all holidays and many occasions! Thank again.

• October 19, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Great Witchy segment! I love the garland! Joyce

• October 19, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I live in the chicagoland area and will check to see what channel. Congrats!! and great pom poms, i’m going to try them.

• Kelly Sas
    October 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm

How exciting! I was watching Nate’s show while reading this!!! I can’t wait to see you girls on his show. I will have to DVR it because I will be out of state visiting my grandkids next week. I know you two did a fabulous job and can’t wait to see what you talked about or did on Nate’s new show!!!

October 19, 2010 at 3:06 pm

That is VERY WELL DESERVING you two!! Congrats….EXCITING….Whooo hooooo

• Grammy
    October 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I’ll be watching from NOLA! Have fun!!!!!!

• October 19, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Congrats on your new fame :-) I’ll be watching in beautiful Eastern Oregon.

• Juanita
    October 19, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I will be watching from southwest Virginia. The list in your reference says the time will be 4:00 pm but I have satellite Direct TV and found the show on 10/27 is at 11:00am on the local ABC channel 36. I set my DVR to record it so I won’t miss it.

Actually, I had never heard of Nate Berkus but while searching to see if his show is available here, I watched some of today’s show and he is terrific.

• October 19, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I’m watching from PA and can’t wait to see you.

• SAndra
    October 19, 2010 at 4:03 pm

How exciting and Congrats!!

• Candy
    October 19, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Watching from western Maryland and very excited to see the show! Congrats!

• Laura Rogers
    October 19, 2010 at 4:57 pm

That is so great to hear that you girls will be on the Nate Show! It is about time you girls get recognized for the great creative ideas that you come up with! I will be watching in West Allis, Wisconsin! I wish I could be in the audience just in case you girls give out some great goodies! I am looking forward to getting some bright, trendy fabric for those awesome yo-yo’s!

Have fun!

~Laura Rogers~

• Jarita
    October 19, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I have only recently discovered your website but have already found several cool projects and lots of inspiration! Congratulations on your adventure with the Nate Berkus Show! That is incredibly exciting – you should be very proud! Sadly, I am currently without television so will miss it, but hopefully can someday catch up on a rerun (and see one of Nate’s shows for the first time too!) from my hometown in Alberta, Canada :-) Keep up the great work!

• jen daniel
    October 19, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Watching from Raleigh NC :)

• October 19, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Watching from Jacksonville, Fl. I love New York!

• Jacki
    October 19, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Hey, I will be watching the Nate Show with YOU!!!!!!! Yay!! You two are my favorites. Thanks for inspiring me to keep crafting :0)

• susann zanwood
    October 19, 2010 at 9:08 pm

HI Kris & Kim, congrats to you both of you on being on ABC’s The Nate Show on 10/27!!!! Best of Luck to Both and I’ll be watching!

• Enis
    October 19, 2010 at 9:24 pm

How totally exciting! I’m near Detroit, MI. And so sad ):, the show runs at 2:00 a.m. Good thing I have DVR so I can tape it and watch the show when I’m actually awake. Can’t wait for 10/27!

• Virginia Tippen
    October 19, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Virginia in TX watching 2.2 Houston

• October 20, 2010 at 1:33 am

WOW!!!!!!! huge congrats Kim & Kris … so happy for you. Have to wait forever – if your show airs in Australia
    Love the pom pom garland

• Nancy Saller
    October 20, 2010 at 2:00 am

I’ll be watching from northern California if I have the day off from work!

• October 20, 2010 at 3:21 am

I will be watching from Williamsville,NY. Congrats!!!

• October 20, 2010 at 7:39 am

WATCHING from SUNNY JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA!

• Pam Warren
    October 20, 2010 at 7:59 am

I am Kim and Kris’s mom, and I will be watching from St. George, Utah !!!!!!

• Kathy
    October 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Hi I watch this from Sundridge, Ontario Canada, I really enjoyed the garland and think the grandchildren might also like to make it.

• Jillian
    October 20, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I’ll be watching from Minnesota. I love the tissue paper garland, I used to make flowers like this. I was thinking of doing three different sizes of white tissue paper for winter snowmen.
    Thanks ladies!

• October 20, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Will be watching soon from South Texas. great ideas great fun. thanks for bringing the designs.

• Natalie O
    October 20, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I will be watching from Spanish Fork, Utah. I am so excited for you girls!

• Kimberly
    October 20, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Love your garland idea! My girls and I will have a great time making these for Halloween. We will be watching the Nate Berkus show from Yorba Linda, California. I am so happy for the both of you. Keep bringing us your fabulous ideas!

• October 20, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Wow! This is so great! I don’t even know what channel but I’ll figure it out and record it while I’m at work in SLC, UT, Congrats you two!

• October 20, 2010 at 5:18 pm

How Cool! We’re having a new dish installed this week so our channels will all be different but one of the first things I look for-after which one is the Disney channel-will be where I can find this show-can’t wait to see you! So awesome!

• October 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I am so excited for you! Can’t wait to see the show.

• October 20, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Awesome news. I’ll check the station finder so I’ll know where to find Nate in my neck of the woods. So cool that it’s already in the bag and you can sit back and relax and wait for the air date.

Congrats!

• Kate
    October 21, 2010 at 2:06 am

My Mom and I love Nate! Thanks for the head’s up. I checked the listing and she gets the show. I don’t think I do here in Costa Rica but will have to do some more checking. I hope I get it! Maybe I can watch it online.

• Neddie58
    October 22, 2010 at 1:01 am

Very nice

• October 22, 2010 at 4:55 am

[...] off, thank you for all your well-wishes as we shared with you our exciting Nate Berkus show news! We have THE best supporters out there and we can’t thank you enough! It was fun to hear all [...]

• Sirena D
    October 22, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Hey Ladies, I’m so excited for you both, Congratulations! It’s going to feel like I’m watching friends of mine when I see you on Nate’s show!
    Good luck, and I’ll be watching from Sooke British Columbia Canada!
    Take Care
    Sirena

• October 22, 2010 at 6:39 pm

How Exciting!!! And to think I got to meet you “CRAFT STARS” at Dear Lizzie after Spark!!! THat night was so much fun, you gals made me laugh so much when we were doing the drawing!! Looking forward to seeing you on Nate’s show! Hugs from Conroe, TX!

• ga447
    October 23, 2010 at 3:40 pm

You were in NY for the first time and I am so glad you loved it. Lived there most of my life and now I will be watching you from Omaha, NE.

Take Care
    Gisela

• October 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Oh, exciting, I will be watching! I know you had a great time, (I taped a segment with Nate last month), looking forward to what the segment is about! Janell

• Doreen
    October 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Congratulations. You have a good show.
    Doreen

• Deb Kratzer
    October 27, 2010 at 6:07 pm

i live in a little town called PenArgyl in Northeast PA..i am watching u on Nates show right now!!!! congrats!!!

• Rachael
    October 27, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Hey ladies! First time on your site and first time watching Nate! I feel like Christmas came early this year! What an awesome website! Love your ideas! Thanks ladies :)

• utah
    October 28, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Watching from Connecticut!

• Brooke S
    October 29, 2010 at 11:18 am

Just watched the show (we were on vacation) and the flea market finds are great!!! More importantly it lead me to your website- love it!!!

• Elizabeth Keller
    November 4, 2010 at 11:50 am

great idea!

• January 11, 2014 at 11:08 am

Hello there, I found your website via Google even as looking
    for a similar matter, your website got here
    up, it appears to be like great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hi there, just became alert to your blog thru Google,
    and located that it is really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels.
    I will be grateful if you happen to proceed this in
    future. A lot of folks will probably be benefited out of your writing.

Cheers!