Episode 4: 2-Minute Craft Countdown – How to Make a Fabric Yo-Yo & More

October 5th, 2010

Welcome to another 2-minute craft countdown! Dive into your fabric scraps because we’re going to show you how to make a fabric yo-yo!

Are you someone who can’t watch a movie, drive in the car, sit at a dr.’s office, etc. etc, without having to do SOMETHING?!? You’re going to love how easy it is to dress up a shirt, a handbag, a headband, home decor, or even greeting cards!

Feel free to embed this video on YOUR blog and share the fun!

The gorgeous fabric in the pillow photos, hair accessories, and t-shirt neckline was designed by Pat Bravo of Art Gallery Fabrics!

Be sure to visit our sponsor of each 2-minute craft countdown, www.YouCanMakeThis.com.  Enjoy making a yo-yo…or two…or ten… :)

• October 5, 2010 at 3:21 am

Sweet! These crafts are so cute. Somehow I missed your episode 4 newsletter. Thank goodness for Facebook. I don’t want to miss a show. :)

• October 5, 2010 at 3:37 am

i love yoyo,s just showed my daughter how to make them.
    thanks girls love you guys

• Pat Triska
    October 5, 2010 at 3:41 am

I have made a queen size bedspread using yoyos. I love it and now since I saw you little video will make a pillow to go with it.

• admin
    October 5, 2010 at 3:45 am

Wow Pat! I can only imagine how long it took to make a queen size bedspread – I bet it is gorgeous!
    -Kim

• Sandy Lewis
    October 5, 2010 at 4:37 am

Hey you two, we are still waiting for you to come and Rug hook with us. We meet the 2nd Friday of each month at my house. We meet at noon and would love to have you come.
    Sandy

• October 5, 2010 at 4:40 am

Wow, I use to make these as a child.. I do have a yoyo maker somewhere in my craft room I would have to dig it out..
    I luv the necklace..
    Thanks for another fun video..
    Maggie

• Lynda S.
    October 5, 2010 at 4:52 am

I love how you used the yo yo’s on the pillow with the beautiful fabric background. That was very creative. I am going to give this a try too! Thanks girls!

• October 5, 2010 at 5:10 am

I love making yo yo flowers, they are so fun! Never thought to add them to a necklace though. Great idea!!

• October 5, 2010 at 5:35 am

Such good ideas. Now I have something to do in the car when I am waiting in the car during piano lessons.

• October 5, 2010 at 6:38 am

Love the necklace with the yoyo’s. I got one as a gift from a USA friend and LOVE that one :) Going to try to make my own as well. Thanks

• Kristi
    October 5, 2010 at 7:04 am

Can’t wait until the next episode with the purses. I have been wanting to do a vintage fabric purse with vintage lace and these yo yo’s . How soon is the next one….?

• clare
    October 5, 2010 at 8:49 am

Such a fun way to dressup a plain t-shirt into something special!

• October 5, 2010 at 9:48 am

I’ve always thought they were pretty, but never ever made any myself (yo yo’s, I mean). Now it’s definitely something I could do. It looks so easy. :)
    The method reminds me of the way I do ‘meeblings’.. it’s actually the exact same process. I just use faux fur fabric and put stuffing in. ;P it’s on my website, if you want to see… :)

• Ginger Wallace
    October 5, 2010 at 10:17 am

these are great….. Thank you again…. I am thinking with some nice christmas fabric you can create some really nice ornaments for the tree,.

• Tammy
    October 5, 2010 at 10:35 am

I love yo yos I usually use them on kids clothing….I recently made my great neice a adorabel lilttel reversible jumper and made a flower out of 3 different sized coordinateing print fabrics as embelishments for the shoulders…It was so cute and I got so many compliments on the jumper. So glad you all chose to share the yo yo makeing with everyone. It is so easy and looks so good and is so cheap to make with just scraps.
    Tammy

• Marietta
    October 5, 2010 at 10:37 am

Hi Twins. Great show. I could see using some yoyo’s to liven up a beach tote, maybe some giant sized ones in loud colors, and also on the beach thongs.

• Chris Johnson
    October 5, 2010 at 10:56 am

A great way to use up all those scraps of leftover fabric. I think I will be adding some yo yo flowers to my hats… and I make a few yo yo dolls.

• October 5, 2010 at 11:16 am

I did not know how easy it was to make fancy yo-yo. It will be a fun project for christmas decoration and decorating my girls room. Will post pictures within two weeks.

• October 5, 2010 at 11:56 am

I am going to ad them to my bland craft shopping bags

• Jody
    October 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Thanks. The possibilities are endless! Thanks again for sharing.

• Kathy
    October 5, 2010 at 12:16 pm

These are neat I have used these in the past several years ago but they are fun to see again and spark the imagination, if you add a little batting to them they puff out nicely and have a neat texture too.

• Ricki Duke
    October 5, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Love yo yo’s. They are so easy to make.

• October 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Love it! They always seemed a bit scarry…but I think I’ll give it a try!

• October 5, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I just love yo-yo’s they are so fun to make and the possibilities are endless! Thank you for even more ideas today!

• Nancy
    October 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Thanks for this idea. My granddaughters love to sew and they are going to Oregon next week for a few days to see their Great Gram. I think I’ll cut some of these out and send all the “fixins” with them on their trip.

• Janet
    October 5, 2010 at 12:55 pm

So cute…and easy to make! Thanks for the great ideas.

• Joyce Jacobs
    October 5, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Thanks for the idea to use yo-yo again. I haven’t done them in years and I think this would really add to some of the outfits I make for my grandaughter.

• Kirstie
    October 5, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Totally doing the headband for my daughter! Thanks girls!

• Elaine Allen
    October 5, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Ladies -

These are just beautiful and thank you for the tutorial. I had seen these years ago but never made them. You have turned them into little works of art.

Elaine Allen

• Michele
    October 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I love when “old” crafts come back into style! Your fabric choices are great, LOVE those graphic designs! I have a yo-yo doll blanket I made as a kid somewhere!?

• Karen Pelletier
    October 5, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I love yo-yos. My friend had a bag of yo-yos her mother gave her that are over 40 years old. She shared a few with me when my sister was recovering from heart surgery at my home and we made two little pillows for my cottage/shabby chic guest room. I will try and share a picture soon.

• Nancy
    October 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Love those pillows! Beautiful fabric! I love the choice of buttons for the centers of the yo-yo’s too!

• Leesa
    October 5, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Yo-Yo’s are fun. I have some from my Mother I’ll need to dig up and finish. Another great show. Thank You

October 5, 2010 at 3:42 pm

All I can tell you ladies….is My Yo Yo Maker’s by Clover…are the BEST!! They are Easy…Fast…and Foolproof EVERY Time!! I didn’t care much for the old fashion way..never made them myself but when I found that GREAT notion I was all over it!! Just wanted to give you all another way to have fun with making yo yo’s

• October 5, 2010 at 5:20 pm

“Yo” (LOL)! I love the necklace and the pillows…so clever!

• Stephanie
    October 5, 2010 at 5:39 pm

love your show. off to youcanmakethis.com. can’t wait for next week! thanks.

• Kim Antongiovanni
    October 5, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Excellent again Ladies – look forward to next week – I get excited when I get your email and know there is some great stuff to see! I wanted to ask about the banner you have hanging behind you – are you going to maybe to that as a project in an upcoming show?

• October 5, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Endless possibilities – and they are so simple!

Thanks again gals!!

• October 5, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Love it, love it, love it. I recently bought the Clover yo-yo makers as well but needed a push to start creating. You just gave it to me. Love the jewelry idea. See you next week!!!

• Christina
    October 5, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I love yo-yos. I make hot pads by putting a bottle cap in the center of a yo-yo, then sew them together. Love your shows

• Jacki
    October 6, 2010 at 12:58 am

Another fantastic idea for my creative juices to get going! Love the fabrics that you used. You are such a treat to watch. You should be on TV!! :) (teeheehee).

• Vicki J. Wade
    October 6, 2010 at 3:50 am

Love the sample ideas, ladies. Very pretty and so easy to do!

• Gail Beam
    October 6, 2010 at 5:37 am

Glad to see yoyos making a comeback!! I have always liked them! Loved the cute fabrics that you used!
    Gail

• Mona
    October 6, 2010 at 5:51 am

Last year I made my daughter (she’s away at college) a shower curtain using yo-yos and ruffles. It’s really cute. She’s gotten a lot of compliments on it. I used bright colored different sized yo-yos and layers of ruffles on a white shower curtain.

• October 6, 2010 at 12:58 pm

How fun to see how easy it is to make yo-yos! Right now I’m making backpacks for Humanitarian. I thought it would be fun to make some backpacks for my cute little granddaughters for Christmas. I think some yo-yos on their backpacks will be darling! Thanks for the tutorial!

• Alice
    October 6, 2010 at 1:44 pm

The pillows are gorgeous. Love the ideas.

• Susan
    October 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I love the cards. You two are so creative.

• Nancy Lundy
    October 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Love it! I absolutely cannot sit still without something to do. This would be a great thing to do while waiting in the carpool line at my kids’ school!

• carol Bauman
    October 6, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Love your show on Yo Yo’s!

• October 6, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I missed your last episode too! I wonder what went wrong? I thought that there was a long break… ;) Love the yo yo and all of the ideas! I need to make me some!

• Martha Hughes
    October 7, 2010 at 1:39 am

I enjoyed your yo-yo episode. Just wanted you to know that I have a yo-yo throw that was started by my Mother many years ago and then I finished it after I married. All you do is make yo-yos with your scrap fabric and then tack the edges together until you get your desired size of throw. The throw is for decoration instead of functional use. Beautiful across the end of your bed or displayed on a quit stand.

• sunitha
    October 7, 2010 at 10:05 am

I Like very very much yo yo’s this is very nice creativity

• K Decker
    October 7, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I do like those yo yo’s. It is just the thing to do while watching TV. Kaye

• October 7, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Thanks so much for such a fun video and for reminding me of this fun craft. I used to make them with my grandmother when I was little and excited to incorporate them into my crafts now. Hope you have a great Thursday!

• susann zanwood
    October 8, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Hi twins, cute as button these yo-yo’s for everything like hats, bags, pillows, hairpeices and so much more. Great idea! Thanks, Susan -NJ

• May-Lynn
    October 9, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Again Thank you for a new craft

• susann zanwood
    October 10, 2010 at 2:24 am

Hi Twins, Thanks for giving me something to do while i’m watching the news everyday! The YOO YOO’s are so much fun to create.

• Elizabeth Keller
    October 12, 2010 at 11:15 am

always was curious about the yoyo, now I’m wondering how to make the dolls;o)

• October 12, 2010 at 11:19 am

These are awesome…thanks for sharing with us

• October 13, 2010 at 2:37 pm

LOVE these!

• Patty
    October 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I love these, and what you can do with them. So great.

• Terri
    October 19, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I just put these on a purse, they are so easy… thanks.

• leanne
    October 27, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I’ve never made a craft in my life….but want to do homemade gifts for Christmas.
    I am currently on bed rest- and this will be something I am going to do- thank you- I love the step by step instructions….this looks like something even I can do!!!

• November 24, 2010 at 2:38 am

My daughter & I are going to make some of these. Thanks for sharing!

• December 2, 2010 at 6:40 pm

[...] had something {ok, EVERYTHING} to do with my friends, Kim & Kris from The DIY Dish. . Their 2-minute craft countdown on making fabric yo-yos, got this whole ball of yarn rolling {yes, only craft-themed puns need [...]

• Marie
    March 29, 2011 at 9:17 pm

DEAR Pat Triska,

How in the world does one make a breadspread from yo-yos. I’d be very interested in learning about this. I can just imagine how beautiful they would be!

• Ijeoma
    July 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm

You can put these on your clutch bags

• October 19, 2011 at 7:08 am

this is sooooo cute! i really have to try this out… thnx a bunch :D

• November 14, 2011 at 8:35 pm

You are very talented. I love these and actually looked it up to use on some new craft projects of my own. Thanks!

• July 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Great episode, haven’t seen one yet that I haven’t loved!!

• Carla
    August 20, 2012 at 2:59 am

I found a clown made with yo yos sewn together for the arms and legs in bright fabric.

• December 11, 2012 at 3:09 am

[...] I made a couple of flowers using this tutorial, and sewed them on by hand. Super easy. Anybody want a flower? I will make you [...]

• andrew
    April 23, 2013 at 3:40 am

im making this for myself to wear with suits my own lapel pin
    God BLESS!

• July 30, 2013 at 5:38 pm

These are so popular in Utah. Awesome website!

• Darillyn Lamb Starr
    September 5, 2013 at 5:56 am

Thanks for much for you tutorial! Another name for these was bottlecaps and they were used for things like quilts, pillows and seat covers. Women would save every bit of fabric large enough to make one from and either sew them together or sew them over the top of a flat piece of fabric.

• January 29, 2014 at 1:09 pm

[…] 2. Fabric Flowers or here […]

• Vee
    March 5, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Very keen to make these, they look great! For some reason the video tutorial is not displaying. Can you advise how to access it? Thank you!