A “2nd Helping” to Season 2, Episode 1: Questions Answered & More Ideas Shared!

September 20th, 2010
Hello fellow DIYers! If you have been with us from the beginning, you will remember that each week after an episode goes “live” on the site, we take the opportunity to write a follow-up post to answer questions some may have from the previous webisode.

This last week we have been in Minneapolis, Minnesota for The Creative Connection Event. It was wonderful! (More to come on that later!) So where we normally write the blog post within a few days, this time it took a little longer as we have been without a computer. Eeek! ;)

Before we answer some questions, we wanted to share with you a few photos taken in our studio of where our little stuffed owl so sweetly sits.

This particular owl was finished with a satin applique stitch, rather than frayed.

Welcome to the Kids' Corner!

When redesigning the studio, it was important to us to have an area of the room where our children felt welcomed. We quickly put our heads to work to create something magical for them. The trunk was painted with a chalkboard paint so they could write or should I say “engrave” their messages to it.

Fabric circles were adhered to the wall with a spray adhesive.

A variety of our favorite fabric prints were cut out and adhered to the round tree top. And we turned an old oak wood clock into the owl’s little perch.

Pretty fun, right? There’s more to this children’s area, but we’ll save all of that for another post!

Now…to answer a few questions from your blog comments!
We were happy to hear that many of you loved the idea of using the Wonder Tape
to secure the bottom before stitching. Some had asked where you could pick this up. We have been able to find it at our local Joann Fabric Store, however, it can also be purchased through the link below.

The great thing about Wonder Tape is that it helps hold things into place, without “gumming” up your needle. After you use it, you’ll wonder where it has been your whole life. :)

For those who are looking for Walnut Shell Litter
and are unable to pick it up at your local pet store or quilt shop, you may want to try that link above.

Understandably, several had also asked about alternatives to Walnut Shell Litter
, especially with those who have to be careful of nut allergies in the home. Here are a few suggestions:

• Play Sand
  • Fine Steel Wool (Thank You Jean!)
  • Fiberfill Polyester Stuffing
  • Bird Gravel
  • Clean (and New!) Kitty Litter
  • Emery (Search Etsy for Best Results)

We hope this gives you a few ideas! There have been some further ideas posted in your comments of what you want to do with this owl idea. Here are a few highlights!

• Leigh Ann wants to add the applique to a tote bag with the legs dangling off!
  • Jennifer will be decorating her entire Christmas tree with these cuties in festive fabrics!
  • Dottie is getting ready to send one for her daughter’s dorm room at college.
  • Valarie had us cracking up. She is going to make a multitude of owls to raise money for a breast cancer awareness benefit. She’ll be making them in pink with a ribbon attachment that reads, “Save the Hooters!”
  • Joann and many others want to make them as gifts for their quilt guilds and sewing groups.
  • Kathryn will be adding a sentimental touch to hers as she will choose fabric from her own mother’s fabric stash from the 60s. Her mother loved owls and what a great keepsake these will be for her and members of her family.
  • Monica wants to add the applique to children’s garments. Love it!

And finally, here’s one more idea to get you thinking… how about making one out of terrycloth material? Do not fill and sew bottom closed. What an adorable washcloth for baby!

OK, OK…a few more pics! We just can’t get enough of these little guys! Whether you leave the edges to fray, or “clean it up” with a satin applique finish, either way, they are just too cute!

Our 2-minute craft countdown will be out later this evening! And don’t forget to have your name entered to win the Janome serger and embroidery machines! Details are found HERE!

Tags: , , ,

September 21, 2010 at 12:14 am

Thanks for you follow up…can’t wait till the 2 minute Countdown!! and I loved the ‘SAVE the Hooters”…FANTASTIC!!

• Clare
    September 21, 2010 at 12:32 am

Love the ideas…I expect to see these little guys all over soon.

• Heather H
    September 21, 2010 at 12:41 am

Oh save the hooters had me cracking up as well. There are some great ideas for these little guys.

• September 21, 2010 at 12:58 am

I am so happy to see “second helping”!! LOVE those owls!!!!!

• September 21, 2010 at 1:57 am

Cute, cute, cute ideas!! I especially like te “Save the Hooters” idea and I’m thinking of maybe doing a couple for a Breast Cancer Awareness walk I’m doing with a friend in October. Maybe I’ll make one for her in pink to commemorate our walk!

• Nancy
    September 21, 2010 at 4:15 am

Love all the cute ideas!!

• Gloria
    September 21, 2010 at 6:40 am

Love the cute owl – but where do I download the pattern? Glad you’re back for season 2!

• September 21, 2010 at 8:14 am

I LOVE your tree, home to your cute little owl! The chalkboard trunk is a great idea, I bet the littles love it!

• Vivien
    September 21, 2010 at 8:18 am

I love the idea of appliqueing the owl on a tote bag and have the legs hanging! I’ll be making some of those for gifts! And I also love the “Save the Hooters” idea. Thanks!

• September 21, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I love those little owls! So adorable!

• September 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I LOVE the tree, what a cute idea! I am making a stack of owl pin cushions for our Christmas craft sale and can’t wait to see how they turn out! Love the show, keep on craftin’!

• September 22, 2010 at 1:32 am

OK, the creative kid’s corner makes me want to be a kid and come play awhile. WOW, I love the idea and the way you designed it. You know me..I’m all about some trees and those adorable owls!

• Nancy
    September 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm

what darling owls! I haven’t made any yet, but I plan to.

• Linda Evans
    September 22, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Thanks for the 2nd helping, owls are sitting pretty.
    Linda Evans

• September 24, 2010 at 1:19 am

I think that I will put one of these owls on a book cover for my niece and give it to her for Christmas. She loves to read.

Right now I’m making an owl for my sewing room. I didn’t really know where to get walnut litter, so I stopped by the grocery store and bought the biggest bag of long grain rice that they had. I figure I’ll be making a few of these little cuties!

• Susan
    October 1, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I just can’t get enough of the owls!

• Jennifer P
    October 4, 2010 at 6:27 pm

How cute! I’m going to make several for my Christmas give away at my guild bee holiday party! I have a tradition of making and giving unique pincushions at the party so these are just perfect. Thanks

• Linda
    October 5, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Thank you for the ideas for alternatives to walnuts for the filling!

Linda

• June 21, 2013 at 6:38 am

Howdy good web site! Man. Outstanding. Fantastic. I am going to take note of your web site along with go ahead and take feeds likewise? I’m grateful to locate numerous very helpful facts in this article inside distribute, we end up needing create more tactics normally indicate, appreciate your giving.