Studio 5: Making the Picnic Garland With Even MORE Possibilities!

August 3rd, 2010

Earlier today, Kris had the opportunity of appearing on NBC/KSL’s Studio 5 showcasing the popular BBQ garland we had shared with viewers earlier this summer with step by step photos on the blog. Now, Kris shows Brooke and Darin how to make one, as well as the many different “takes” that can be done with the same techniques as shown with the 4th of July banner.

Garlands are all the rage right now, and to have one be so fun AND functional makes a perfect project! For only a few dollars to make, you can have one of these garland banners done in less than an hour! They really are that easy!

Watch the segment below as Kris shares a birthday banner, one for Halloween, one for the craft room, and yes, even one to be used as a Christmas countdown family activity!

If you would like to take a look at the original post with the step-by-step photos, click HERE for viewing. And don’t forget to read others’ comments on this entry, because YOU ALL are so amazing in the ideas that you share coming from this project! YOU are what inspired us to try out even more possibilities!

What ideas do you have for this garland? Make a comment below and let us know!

Tags: , , , , , ,

August 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm

This is FANTASTIC Kris!! I love all the oodles and oodles of ideas…I read the blog…however seeing it in video just made it even better!! Thanks!!

August 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm

OMGoodnes….I just had a Way too GREAT of an idea for this….lol….

What to do with ALL of my youngest daughters….Polly Pockets…..and Soda Pop Girls……and all those lil bittie things for her room…..GREAT up off the floor onto the WALL organization idea and bonus….Decor!!!

Whooo hooooo….my light bulb just went on!!

• Kris @theDIYdish
    August 4, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Connie, I LOVE IT! Such a great idea. In fact, I was having a “mom moment” today when helping my 4-year-old clean up all that stuff! Off to get those materials together…I think I might even have some ready to go! Woohoo!

August 4, 2010 at 8:11 pm

YES!! A Totally MOMMY moment….yikes!!! mine is 9….lol….and a whole day of in her room…so this is Way too cool..and I do have all my stuff!! Whooo hooo!!

• Alice
    August 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Ooooohhh! You two just gave me an idea. My daughter has been looking for something for the bathroom for her 3 year old. Now to find a WalMart that hasn’t closed the craft section of the store. Thanks for my lightbulb moment.

• August 4, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I like this idea for displaying special greeting cards you have gotten, birthday, anniversary, Mother’s Day, etc.

• August 5, 2010 at 12:00 am

I will make one for my granddaughter hair bows and clips and rubberbands and caomb and brush. Also my daughter wants one to hang outside the camp trailer to put various kids stuff in so they don’t have to be going in and out and in and out while camping. I am going to due several of the girls hair ones for birthday gifts for friends little girls. My grandson wants one for all his matchbosx cars too! Thanks for sharing!

• Liz
    August 5, 2010 at 1:06 am

I will be making one to store all my little sewing stuff that always gets puts down somewhere and then I can never find it because I have put something else on top of it. Love all the different ideas you guys came up with.

• Elizabeth Keller
    August 5, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I like the idea of putting pictures in them, this would also be great for weddings!

• DeeDee
    August 5, 2010 at 2:16 pm

OMGosh…….. What a absolute fab idea !!! Love it, Our local hardware store also has this clear plastic
    for those who do not have a Wally World close by. The possibilities are endless…. My thought off the cuff would be to use the banner at Christmas time to hold clues for a treasure(gift) hunt which all
    ages really enjoy.

• Jessica
    August 5, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Love the ideas, I’ll keep this in mind for my next out door event! Thanks a bunch

• Kristi
    August 5, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Now you have my creative interest peeked. I will have to make some of these. Thanks for inspiring me.

• Dottie
    August 5, 2010 at 5:11 pm

So many great ideas! How about making the pockets larger and using it to display and store your children’s artwork?

• Paula Moses
    August 5, 2010 at 6:15 pm

For those of you who are fearful of sewing, how about using clear plastic pockets made for binders? They are 81/2″ x 11″ and have an opening at the top. I use them to display things in my classroom, and I love the idea of making a banner from them.

• Linda Evans
    August 5, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I’m thinking wedding, with picks of bride and groom as they where growing up, and some with them together in front of there dinner table. I have a son getting ready to get married.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Linda

• Ricki Duke
    August 7, 2010 at 10:59 pm

This would be good in a baby room to, cotton balls, q-tips, ointments, socks, hair bows, head bands etc!

• August 11, 2010 at 4:06 pm

So many ideas! Love the utensils for a summer gathering. The pictures of the kids are pretty sweet too!