A “2nd Helping” (Times Two!) Follow-Up Posts to Episodes 9 and 10

June 1st, 2010

Yes, we’re still around….and we do apologize for not keeping up with our “2nd helping” posts the last couple of weeks. Between end-of-the-school year hooplas and leaving on a family vacation,  we were unable to get those posted.

So let’s start off with answering a few questions from Episode 9 featuring the Hemingworth thread line at Embroidery.com! We can’t tell you enough how fun it has been reading the comments that you are posting about how much you’re loving the simple ease of the hooded towel, your new-found love of Hemingworth embroidery tape and the “a-ha” moments that are ringing bells for that marvelous thread caddy!

Here are some of the comments and questions that have been coming in which we hope will help perhaps someone else that may have the same question!

Q. What size towels are you using?
A. Basically any sized towel will work. The bath towel we used in the video was 30″ x 54″ and the hand towel was 16″ x 27″.

Q. Can you use the other half of the hand towel to make your tote?
A. Absolutely! And what a brilliant idea that is. Cut two blocks that measure approximately 5 1/2″ x 12″, making sure there is a finished edge along the top so that when you fold it over, you will not have to worry about hemming!

Q. Do I need to make any adjustments with the towel sizes if making for baby?
A. That is a great question, and it’s entirely up to you. If you choose, you can use a washcloth for the hood, rather than cutting a hand towel in half and you’ll get terrific results.

Comment: “I think I will cut my twill tape shorter for the tote handle as to avoid a choking hazard for the younger ones.”
What We Think: FANSTASTIC! Such a wonderful idea! Thank you for bringing that to our attention and we couldn’t agree with you more!

Comment: “I’m going to use the 2nd half of my hand towel to line my main towel with some pockets!”
What We Think: This is EXACTLY why we love feedback from our viewers! You are always coming up with wonderful ideas that just keep those ideas flowing! We LOVE it!

And finally…

Q. Where did you get those cute designs?
A. Thanks for asking! Click on the pics below to find the links of where they’re from!

Now some questions and answers from Episode 10 on our jewelry made with products from Amaco!

Q. Where did you get the hair pins and the metal framed jewelry piece?
A. Hobby Lobby is where we were able to pick ours up. You can find these kind of “open” pieces of jewelry in most craft-supply stores.

Q. Can you use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun?
A. Unfortunately, a hair dryer will not give the results you’ll be looking for. One of our viewers, Ann, shared this helpful info on our Facebook page in reference to this question, “The heat from a heat gun is a lot hotter and doesn’t blow. If your daughter is going to use it, tell her to be very careful as you can get burnt very badly from it.” Thank you Ann for sharing!

Q. Did you cover the back of the washer necklaces?
A. Actually, we did not. We left them as is.

Q. I was not able to view the site you mentioned with Linda of Friendly Plastic! Am I doing something wrong?
A. No, that one was an “oops” on our part! The site name on the screen had an unwanted “s” on the end. If you typed that in, you surely found the wrong place! To find fantastic tutorials on more fun projects to do with Amaco products, go to www.friendlyplastic.blogspot.com. Guaranteed, you’ll love it!

Phew! Did you read that all? We sure hope so! And due to Memorial Day weekend, our Episode 11 show will be LIVE late Tuesday evening! We’ll also let you in on our summer schedule for The DIY Dish, as well as share with you about our upcoming DVD that will be made available soon for summer projects to make with the kids!

“See” you soon!

Kris and Kim

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

• Becky
    June 1, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I had trouble sewing over the seam where the two sides of the hand towel came together. Had to give up on it. I don’t have a heavy duty machine.

• June 1, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I read some where if you take a hammer to the seams it will flaten them, and then your sewing machine will go over without a problem. Not sure if it works but worth a try.

• Cynthia D.
    June 2, 2010 at 12:11 am

I just made another hooded bath towel this weekend for a baby shower gift! It seriously took me just
    minutes to complete!! Even with adding trims and such!! LOVE THIS IDEA!!! KEEP THOSE GREAT IDEAS COMING IN!!!!!

• Rickimoo
    June 2, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Sorry to hear that your only going to every other week for new episodes. I look forward to your shows.

• kathy
    June 2, 2010 at 2:50 pm

someone posted about using the 2nd half of the hand towel for pockets….add a zipper to that pocket to keep stuff inside!

• Kris and Kim
    June 2, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Becky, I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some trouble with the thicker seams and your machine. I do have a few suggestions that hopefully may help.

First, I like Heather’s idea she shared of flattening out that extra bulk with a hammer. I have never tried this method, but it sounds like a great idea to me and definitely worth trying!

Another idea would be to actually begin sewing about an inch from the beginning, rather than at the very end where the bulk is even heavier. Sew a few stitches and then backstitch all the way to beginning and then move forward again. Some machines have a difficult time when starting at the very beginning of a lot of bulk as it sounds like your machine may be doing.

Another idea would be to simply cut off those finished edges so that there is no bulk and then put right sides together (the hood and the towel) to stitch together. Be sure to do a straight straight stitch and then zig zag stitch over top of that straight stitch to reinforce that seam if you do not have a serger.

I hope this helps! We want you to experience success in this fun summer project!

• debi
    June 2, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Just wanted to thank you for answering all the questions. I just check the comments and most of the time my question is answered. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• June 3, 2010 at 12:09 am

I love the tile projects!

• Paula
    June 3, 2010 at 12:55 am

Becky,

You might try a little notion called the jean-a-ma-jig by Dritz. It is made to go over the thick seam of jeans, I think it might work for the thickness of the towel or washcloth. Like Kim and Chris said I have started passed that point and backstitched and that does work with my machine. Good luck.
    Paula

• Paula
    June 3, 2010 at 12:56 am

Chris and Kim,
    Your tile projects were great. I think they would make great trivets for the table too.
    Paula

• Kris and Kim
    June 3, 2010 at 1:20 am

Paula, thank you for that fantastic tip on the jean-a-ma-jig! I hadn’t even thought of that, but that’s a GREAT idea and definitely worth trying! Thank you so much for sharing!

• June 3, 2010 at 3:30 am

I made 3 of these towels last week for the grandkids for memorial day weekend camping trip, used bright colored towels with different bright colored handtowels for the hoods. I will be adding washclothes to the insides for their hands to hold the towels shut around them.

• julie rosier
    June 3, 2010 at 4:12 pm

what a great website and informative videos! I am new here and just love this site!

• Ava Smith
    June 4, 2010 at 3:31 am

I really enjoy your projects! Great fun!

• MARTHA HALE
    June 5, 2010 at 7:10 pm

love that hemmingway thread, and i have 2 granddaughters that will love those hooded towels!

• Kim Hunt
    June 7, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I absolutely love the hooded beach towel and tote ideas. I have embroidery machine with cute designs but ran out of ideas where to put them. I’m sure these will be much more appreciated than just another shirt. Thank you for introducing me to your program and count me in for more.

• June 7, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I just discovered your website today and love it! I watched the episode featuring the hooded beach towel and plan to make one this week for my granddaughter who spends as much time as possible at the pool. I’m very impressed with your videos and website and have bookmarked your site as one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing!

• June 7, 2010 at 4:54 pm

[...] Be sure to read our “2nd helping” where we answer many of your questions, including inf… [...]