Follow-up on Mother’s Day Collages

May 5th, 2010

Hi everyone! We’ve had a few more questions on the Mother’s Day collages from Episode 7, so thought we’d make a quick post. We mentioned that you can use a decoupage medium to transfer the photo to the canvas. We’ve had good success with the decoupage medium called Liquitex “gloss medium and varnish” as well as “collage Pauge” by Aleenes. We purchased the Liquitex at Michaels.

We hope that helps! We look forward to seeing what you’ve been making!

• May 5, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Thanks! I’ve not gotten around to trying it after all, because I discovered we don’t have any photo paper, or and decoupage medium! I’ll have to wait…

• May 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I got all the stuff and then ran out of time. Hopefully for Mom’s birthday I’ll have it done.

• Gloria Waddell
    May 5, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I thought the decoupage Idea was great. Keep episodes coming .

Gloria in Ohio

• Chris
    May 6, 2010 at 12:23 am

Hi! I finally got the supplies. Couldn’t find decoupage medium but went with Mod Pouge matte finish. We’ll see if it works. My first attempt I wasn’t happy with it and maybe I tried too soon to try to remove the paper backing, the paper and photo rubbed away. I’m working on second sample and I’m going to let this one dry throughly before wetting it to remove the paper. I bought canvas panels to practice on before using the stretched canvas boards, the panels are cheaper and I can experiment with them before using the boards.
    If I had one suggestion about DIY, could we have some print-out instructions of each of the projects. This way I could put a copy in my craft notebook to have for future reference, maybe in a pdf format that way people could save it on their computers or print it out. Thanks so much, Chris

• May 6, 2010 at 12:57 am

Loving this!!

m ^..^

• Chris
    May 7, 2010 at 12:18 am

I’m trying to word this comment carefully as not to discourage anyone from trying this technique and who might it quite easy but that has not been my experience. My biggest problem was what I mentioned in first post( the photo rubbing off and canvas showing through), and trying to find some solution. I was very disappointed but had to say that I tried and needed to move on to the other projects that I know I can almost do blindfolded, that is sewing and making clothes for my young grandchildren.

• Jill
    May 7, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Great and very inspiring, i can make that!

• Michelle Holmes
    May 11, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I tried it and it didn’t work. I think I was anxious and didn’t let it dry all of the way. I am definitely going to try it again, though. I absolutely love the idea. Second time’s a charm!

• Ricki
    May 12, 2010 at 4:08 am

Looks like alot of fun. Just waiting for the right time to try it.

• Cami
    May 14, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I made on of these as a Mother’s Day gift for my mom of my two daughters. When I first started to take the paper of the photo started to come off also, so I just let it dry overnight before I tried again and it worked just fine after that. It was a little time consuming to rub all of the paper off but it was worth it. It turned out so cute!

• Nancy
    June 2, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I love these! I wonder if you could go into a little more detail on the collages that you pictured using different pictures and putting the word, such as “love” on them. Do you cut the pictures up and lay them down as you want them and then put the mirror image word you want to use on top of that? I wasn’t sure how to do those as you didn’t show anything other than doing the one with the single picture.
    Thanks!