May 10th, 2010

Since our Studio 5 segment on frayed applique, we’ve had several questions that have come through the blog and by email that we’d love to answer!

Q. I wish I lived in Utah so I could get those fabrics! Can I find them elsewhere?
A. Great news folks! Just because some of the fabrics were from Utah designers, doesn’t mean you can only find them here. Joel Dewberry and Shari Butler of Doohikey Designs can be found EVERYWHERE! We used Joel’s line on the pillow, Shari’s on the handbag, and Amy Butler’s line is found on the beautiful quilt! (Which we’ll be showing how to make in this week’s episode #8 so be sure to come back!)

Q. What advice do you have for stitching the appliques onto t-shirts?
A. There is a great product that we absolutely love, and we actually use it all the time when doing machine embroidery. However, this product works just as well when adding appliques by the sewing machine. It is called “Hoop Assist” and it is by Hemingworth. Simply iron the sheets onto the back of the shirt, and it will hold your knit nice and tight so that it won’t shift around while sewing. Afterwards, it can be easily removed.

Q. Can you wash felt?
A. That’s a very good question! And a lot of it depends on the kind of felt you are using on your project. We always say, “When in doubt, hand-wash!” Doing so won’t get you in any kind of trouble! :) Be careful with wool felts because they may have a tendency to bleed. We’ve had good luck with craft felts if washed in cold water and left to air-dry. If you are still not sure, it’s always a good idea to do a test wash with a scrap of the selected felt to see what the results are before finding out it’s too late later.

Q. I know you’re doing an update on your studio. When will we see what is going on?
A. Yes, we’ve been busy lately in a redesign of the studio. It’s been a whole lot of work, but a whole lot of fun at the same time! You’ll see just a portion of the “reveal” in this week’s show! Here’s a little peak…

We’ve been repainting walls, putting together a small kids’ corner, sewing window treatments, refinishing furniture, moving furniture, changing light fixtures… you name it!

Gotta love DIY!  Happy Monday everyone!

• Shari B.
    May 10, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Kim and Kris! I would love to talk with you. I know you spotlighted on Studio 5 and now I’d like to spotlight you at quilt market. I have less than 10 days till quilt market…is there a way to get a hold of you and get your project you did on studio 5 using sublime to showcase you two cute gems? Let me know!

• Melinda Goodman
    May 10, 2010 at 11:26 pm

great advice, I love learning anything about fabric / crafts

• Kim Santre
    May 11, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I’m a little behind in episodes. I just had lung surgery. I had a tumor removed and lost some of my left lung. I was given a second chance at life!You either caught this rare tumor early or you have a couple of yrs to live.An awesome angel was protecting me!!! So now I am trying to catch up I love these picnic blankets and placemats!!!!!!!!I would to make this as gifts for my kids and grandkids. I take my grandkids to the park & this blanket would be awesome to take with. Also the creative connection with the mother’s day collage. I would love to make one for each graandchild and put them in my sewing room. And all the things that are going to be given away from Creative Connection. The quilts patterns and the jewelry I’m so excited. I’m just learning about blogs and twitter I’m 59 and Having a few problems with how they work!! Isn’t FABRIC.COM the GREATEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!If you can’t find what you want there plus 15% off Thanks so much for your website I reaally love the ideas and the instructions

Kimmerz

• Enis
    May 11, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Oh, I just love home decorating! Can’t wait to see your new studio — and maybe “borrow” some of your ideas!

• LAINE
    May 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Have 2 granddaughters 4 and 2. can’t wait to make the quilt and placemats for our summer picnics

• Francisca
    May 19, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Hello Crafty Ladies, now that you are changing the studio any chance on having an episode on handy things/tips on organizing the crafts room. By the way I love the carrousel with all the crafty tools on your table, were is it from or did you make it yourselfs?

• Kathryn
    June 12, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Love you show. Thanks for giving me so many new ideas. I work on motivation and inspirations from other sources and you have been a wonderful source. Thank you so much for all you do. Kathy

• April 1, 2013 at 6:41 am

A “2nd Helping” – Follow-Up to Studio 5 Segment & What’s Happening With Our Studio? « The DIY Dish