A “2nd Helping” to Episode 7: Questions Answered & Another Fun Project with the Paper Medallions

April 30th, 2010

Many of you have caught the excitement that we are also feeling about The Creative Connection Event that is coming up in September. It has been fun to read what classes you would be interested in taking! There really are some fabulous classes that will be taught from some amazing women! It’s not too late to register! Click on the TCC Event to find out more information! We’d love to see you there!

There have been a few questions about the mixed media collages and so we wanted to see if we could answer some here. Chances are you might have the same question!

Q. Why is it important to use a laser printer rather than an ink jet?
A. From our understanding, this is because the ink will not transfer to the board with as high of quality as the ink from a laser printer. It has something to do with the toner, but we’re not too technical about it! :)

Q. What was your technique in painting the canvas?
A. We used brush strokes in all different directions, even doing so while paint was still wet, so that colors formed into other colors. Another product I like to use on occasion with my acrylics is a clear acrylic gel medium which can be picked up at any craft store in the art supply section. Adding this medium to your normal acrylics will thicken the paint and add more texture to your strokes.

Q. What was the swirled brown beading you had in the corner of the canvas?
A. This was simply a scrapbook embellishment of a “blinged” sticker!

We can’t WAIT to see the pictures coming in of your mixed media collages! The possibilities really are endless and there are so many different directions you can take with a project such as this. Some have shared they will be making them of their child’s sport’s pics, while others will have pictures of their pet. Some will be using black and white images from older photographs, while others are getting ready to put something together for the newlyweds or even a brand-new baby!

So, so FUN!

And finally before we sign off, we wanted to share a few pictures from a recent teacher appreciation luncheon that we put together at our children’s elementary school. Remember the paper medallions we showed how to make in our 2-minute craft countdown?

We made those paper medallions for gift packages in Episode 7, however we also turned these medallions into paper flowers! Attached to wooden skewers and stuck in styrofoam-filled clay pots, these little flower pots became the perfect addition to the spread on the snack table!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend friends, and have fun creating!

Tags: , , , ,

• April 30, 2010 at 3:58 am

I love those medallions! Wish I would have seen those when I was the hospitality gal in PTA:). Great job!!! Have a good night~Paige

• Karen Mortensen
    April 30, 2010 at 4:09 am

Wish your kids went to my school. You guys do a wonderful job. I have a blog about my class. Check it out at http://mrsmortensensclass.blogspot.com

• April 30, 2010 at 4:15 am

Can you still do it with an Ink Jet Printer, as long as you don’t really care if it doesn’t come out as good? Also, what kind of canvas did you use again? Would a regular painting canvas work? We have a few that are for painting with acrylics, and I’d love to try it with things that we already have…
    Thanks!
    Amy

• April 30, 2010 at 10:52 am

I hope to make the mother’s day gift doing this. I’ll post pictures. :)

• Doris
    April 30, 2010 at 1:02 pm

You girls were in the best mood over this project, can’t wait to try it!

• April 30, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Karen, I wish my children had YOU as a teacher! Amy, I’m not sure about the ink jet because I haven’t tried. However, it might be work giving a little try in a corner of the canvas. That way if it doesn’t work, you can always cover it up with paint! If you give it a whirl and it works, please let us know! As far as canvas, just a normal painter’s canvas will work perfectly. I picked up a 2-pack for only $3 at my local Michaels. Hope that helps! Can’t wait to see pics!

• Suzanne
    May 1, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Thank you for the Mom’s Day idea. The collage is a precious keepsake. The CC classes look great. My interest begins with the baby sweater as I became a first time granny two weeks ago. I would also be interested in the gilding class by Carol Kemery and the painting classes by Laurie Meseroll.

• May 1, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Thanks! I’ll try that this afternoon.

• jacki
    May 2, 2010 at 2:04 am

Love the cute ideas!

• Alison
    May 2, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Ladies! I just found your video on Sandra Everston’s blog. What fun! I am now subscribed and will be enjoying your ideas in the future. I think I will do a “test run” of the collage by making one featuring all the pets we have in our home at the moment (when my husband and I got married a year ago we each had a reasonable number, but together it adds up to a lot), then when I have the technique down I will give it a go with our family pix for my mom. Love the gift wrap ideas! Thanks for your webisodes!

• May 2, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I found your podcasts when looking for things to put on my iPod touch! I loved making the birthday cake pincushion and I made one for each of my friends for Christmas.

I checked out “Creative Connection” and would love to take the Retro Kitchen class. I am having so much fun watching the videos. I love the Janome machine you demonstrated and am trying to find a way to convince my husband I need one…. ha ha.

I hope I am the lucky person that wins! Keep up the good crafting!
    ~Bonnie Koehler, Lexington, KY

• Michelle
    May 4, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I bought two 5X7 canvases and have my photos copied. I am ready to go. I just need to get my teenagers to bed and I’ll be crafting the night away.

• Rickimoo
    May 5, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Love the cute ideas. Keep them coming.